Thread: I received a photo request for a magazine... I need some advice

I received a photo request for a magazine... I need some advice

I recevied an email today from a national company that has their own quarterly magazine/bulletin they publish based on their industry. They want their new VP based in Maine and they want him to be photographed in Maine in and around authentic locations that give the New England feel. They had some suggestions and wanted some from us as well. They want a few photos of him taken during an interview and with some sort of coastal setting as a cover image for their magazine. They said that they saw our work on our website and were impressed and wanted a quote.

I don't think that we'd have a problem shooting this, I would of course be nervous as this would be a first for us and I like to produce quality photos. I'm looking for suggestions as far as execution and price. We've shot outside photos of weddings and feel that they came out well using external flashes. They suggested that this would be an all day event.
    --

Hi James,

Of course, I am not a pro, but last summer when my company started updating our website we got a couple of quotes for pros to come to our office and shoot the senior staff. Hmmm...I should rephrase...take pictures of the senior staff. If I recall correctly, the quotes were in the $1,500-$2,000 range. High enough that our owners (we are a small company) decided to use me instead, but hopefully that gives you an idea of the range being charged by a pro for a couple hours onsite and PP to do 8-10 headshots.

Cool Into the abyss

Hi James

We do outdoor shoots all around the beautiful state of South Carolina for small publications and charge $1000 as a flat fee plus travel. Of course in South Carolina its not so much the distance as the terrain....a lot of these stories focus on nature and preservation and almost everyone we do seems like they want to shoot somewhere in the middle of one of these blackwater swamps. Think [I]The patriot at that hideout they had in the middle of the swamp. Yes, we actually shot there.

Tad Atkinson
    [http://www.palmettophoto1.com/rock-h...ortraits-2//I]