Thread: Tokina 16-28 lens flare

Tokina 16-28 lens flare

Now this is some serious lens flare. Tokina 16-28 on the 6D. Sun just barely out of frame. Obviously not far enough out of frame. I've shot with this lens with the sun at about the same spot and not had flare this bad. At first I thought it might be condensation, but it isn't that humid outside and the shots before and after this are fine.

Mark - Flickr

Mark,

I've experienced similar results just after taking off the lens cap during the summer. Condensation on the lens usually dissipates quickly, but can easily cause issues similar to this if taken soon after taking the lens cap off.

Was this shot the first in a series of images?

Yeah, I've seen that as well, Sean. But that wasn't the case here. We'd been outside walking around for a good 20 minutes prior to this shot. For the next shot I moved into the shade and the image came out fine. Just weird sun flare. I think the sun was "painting" across the front lens element.
    Mark - Flickr

I have the same combination. While I love my Tokina 16-28, the lens flare is horrendous. You need to watch the location of any bright lights with this lens. I have gotten really weird lens flares while shooting the milky way (a car coming up the hill in the distance).

Mark, that is some flare! I have similar problems with my Tokina 12-24mm when the sun is directly in the frame. I started shooting with ND filters on that lens to control it. I assume you had the lens hood on?

Some people really enjoy the lens flare look. If this was a file you were intending on keeping, you could bump the temp and make it nice and warm. Add some various filters in LR and you could have a nice flare landscape. Make some lemonade.

The 17-40 gets picked on sometimes, but one thing is for sure it's a superior lens for minimizing flare.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Jayson View Post
    Mark, that is some flare! I have similar problems with my Tokina 12-24mm when the sun is directly in the frame. I started shooting with ND filters on that lens to control it. I assume you had the lens hood on?

Some people really enjoy the lens flare look. If this was a file you were intending on keeping, you could bump the temp and make it nice and warm. Add some various filters in LR and you could have a nice flare landscape. Make some lemonade.
    The Tokina 16-28 has a permanent lens hood. That's one reason I want to sell it and pick up a Canon 16-35 f4 IS. I can't use my Lee filters with the Tokina.
    Mark - Flickr

There is always the Lucroit system for this lens (and many others like the Nikon 14-24).