Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My child is now 2 years old, what should my next purchase be?

My child is now 2 years old, what should my next purchase be?

Hi all,
    I purchased a 60D 2 years ago (I love it) to take photos of my family and newborn. He's now 2 years old, and I find its a lot of equipment to carry with me at all times. I own a 17-55 EFS, a 50 1.4 and a 60mm macro. I love all three lenses, however I find myself using my cell phone to take photos because I do not always have my camera with me. I'm looking at the Sony Cyber-shot RX100 III. I would love a camera with Wi-Fi abilities. I'm also wondering if I should I sell the 60D and try a new body (full frame)? Do you all have any recommendations / thoughts? I am open for anything... new lens, new camera or other ideas. Thank you for your help.

Thank you,
    Bruce

Hi Bruce, that's one problem with the DSLR. You've either got to get into the habit - and risk possible damage/theft/whatever if you do have it - or miss pictures. I tend to fall into the latter category myself. Guilty as charged. Yes, they can be a lot to haul around.

However, IMHO even if you invest in another type of system heavily - you run the risk of the same thing happening even if you go mirrorless, FF or otherwise.

I think you need to examine why you don't have your camera with you first and foremost, and fix it

This is really, honestly the time you should be photographing and videoing the little guy, because he's going to be shaving in about a week!

The camera you've got along with the lenses are near perfect - about the only thing I'd think of adding is a 70-200/2.8L IS, or for a grand less the Sigma/Tamron equivalent so you can invest in a good flash and triggers. Also a UWA, like the great new (and inexpensive) Canon 10-18.

Yes, you should have a point and shoot just so you've got something when your hands are full (I've got 2). And I bet you can get a zillion suggestions here for the latest and greatest - there's a new one about every 6 months.

But there's no magic bullet out there. Just discipline. Do it for you, do it for your wife, and do it for your son. Because you will just as easily not have your P&S with you as well. Keep your P&S with you, but find a way to cart your 60D as often as possible.If you get in the habit, and if you're finding yourself missing shots not because you didn't have your camera, but because the technology is letting you down - come back and we'll talk!

Tough question. The best camera is the one you have with you and if you aren't using the. 60d, that is telling. Canon does have the SL1, which you could consider. I've heard good things about the RX100 series. Www.imaging-resource.com reviews all sorts of cameras. I looked at the shutter response and was surprised to see the RX100 II was similar to the 60d. I am on my phone (traveling) so I may have missed something.

So if you can live with a fixed lens, could be tempting.

My combo priority for photography is...

1st - iPhone - on me 100%
    2nd - EOS-M & 22mm - in my work bag and taken on casual trips
    3rd - 6D & 24-70 f2.8 II when I'm walking light, sometimes add my 70-300L if I've got a backpack
    Last - 6D and a selection of lenses to suit the job in hand when I'm going full bore photog, have access to the car nearby or not going to be carrying for a long distance.

The iPhone is great for capturing moments - don't underestimate the power of a camera phone for memories.

With the right bag you can carry a lot of equipment without a lot of work. I carry my bag with me most of the time and so far have not had any problems with losing it, etc.
    --

It's definitely a challenge. I do bring my 1D X + 24-70/2.8 II with me on most family outings, often with the 70-300L in a lens case under the stroller.

For times that wasn't feasible, I used to use a PowerShot S95/S100, and was tempted by the RX100 models. I opted for the EOS M instead, small body, (relatively) big sensor, and serves as a backup camera that works with my EF lenses.

It can be a challenge to find the equipment that best suits you with as few compromises as possible.
    My carry around, in a backpack that goes almost everywhere with me, is a 5Diii with 24-70 or 24-105 as one lens system. Can easily carry more lenses, water, lunch in backpack as well I just choose to limit bulk and weight.
    Am starting to look more seriously at a mirrorless now that full frame sensors are becoming more prevalent. Not as a replacement to DSLR, especially 1 series bodies for sports, but more as a highly capable compact carry around. The technology has gotten to the point where it just might be a viable alternative for me.

Have you considered changing your camera bag? I used to find it a hassle to lug my gear around, but ever since I bought a toploader pro 75AW I pretty much carry my gripped DSLR and 70-200mm F/2.8 IS II with me wherever I go-- and that's saying something, since that's not a light combination. There's way smaller shoulder bags, like the toploader pro 65, which is fit for a gripped dslr and a general-sized lens. It's a very small bag that fits only what you need to shoot, and it's easy to forget you're carrying it. Since it's a holster bag, you can quickly unzip it and pull your camera out from the top, shoot, and then quickly put it away.

Starting to sound like a Lowepro ad, sorry. I've just absolutely loved the toploader ever since I got it last Christmas, and it's really changed my shooting habits. Beforehand I only had a backpack, and it was a bit crazy for me to carry a backpack with me wherever I went. So I looked into holster options and found the toploader, which worked out great for me.
    Gear list:
    Canon 60D gripped, 70-200mm F/2.8 IS II, 17-55mm F/2.8 IS, 50mm 1.8 II, 580ex II and soon to be a 5D Mark III

When I use to go places with just my wife and I, I didn't mind carrying around the DSLR with a couple lenses. I was always ready for a shot. Now that I have 3 kids, I hardly take the DSLR out of the house when it is the family. I purchased the EOS M specifically for this purpose. I carry that little image maker everywhere. I hate taking pictures with my phone since even the slightest challenge in natural light give the iPhone horrible blotchiness. I currently have the zoom lens and have purchased the 90ex and the 22mm f/2. I haven't had a chance to use either of them, but the zoom did a wonderful job catching the little guys wherever we went. The high ISO on the M is easier to clean up than on my 7D and it produces great results. I carry it in a bag that is very small so there isn't any restriction where I can take it.

If I were you, I would jump on one of the deals on a mirror less camera be it the EOS M, Sony or Nikon. I would go with the EOS M just because you have lenses already and if you felt like purchasing an adapter, you could use them as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Hjones View Post
    Have you considered changing your camera bag? I used to find it a hassle to lug my gear around, but ever since I bought a toploader pro 75AW I pretty much carry my gripped DSLR and 70-200mm F/2.8 IS II with me wherever I go...
    I have all three Lowepro Toploader Pro bags (65/70/75), they're great. I use them for body+lens, or more. I have Lens Cases to strap an extra lens to the outside, or a Wuick Flex Pouch 75 for a 600EX-RT flash. With the Toploader 75, I can put a fast prime (35L:85L/135L) in the bottom with a 24-70/2.8 II on the camera. Very versatile!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jayson View Post
    When I use to go places with just my wife and I, I didn't mind carrying around the DSLR with a couple lenses. I was always ready for a shot. Now that I have 3 kids, I hardly take the DSLR out of the house when it is the family. I purchased the EOS M specifically for this purpose.
    I have the EOS M, 22/2 and now the M18-55, but I usually take the 1D X and 1-2 lenses, even with three kids (they're 6, 4, and 15 months). For me, it was mainly about finding a way to carry the dSLR that leaves my hands and chest free to carry kid(s). I alternately use a Blackrapid strap and a Spider Holster (with Arca clamp on a Lowepro belt).