Thread: Fees and Pricing?

Fees and Pricing?

I have been hired to shoot products for a large bakery chain in my area. The job is to shoot bread, pastries and custom cakes for 3 books which the sales people will present to prospective clients(supermarkets, restaurants, sports venues etc) . I'm looking for some advice on how to bill for this project. Each of the catalogs will contain roughly 70 items. I would estimate approximately 4-6 hours work per book.

Any advice/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance...

Jerry

How are you hired if you don't have a fee structure in place?
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.

Quote Originally Posted by jerrytech1 View Post
    I have been hired to shoot products for a large bakery chain in my area. The job is to shoot bread, pastries and custom cakes for 3 books which the sales people will present to prospective clients(supermarkets, restaurants, sports venues etc) . I'm looking for some advice on how to bill for this project. Each of the catalogs will contain roughly 70 items. I would estimate approximately 4-6 hours work per book.

Any advice/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance...

Jerry
    I would have a conversation with them and see if you can find out what they have budgeted for the project. Be honest and explain you will do the project and produce quality results and also you would like (if possible) to stay within their budget. That will give you some idea if it will work out for you.

My girlfriend works in the office with the owner and marketing people. I went in and did a number of test shots which they are very happy with.

Offer to do it hourly, I think with your time estimate you will be working cheap.

I think your estimate of time is very aggressive. 70 high quality prints for publication produced in 6 hours translates to a single print and picture set up, taken and processed in just over 5 minutes. That might be enough time if your set up is generic and the same each time, but I would think each individual items set up would take more time.
    I probably couldn't figure out which is the best side of a cup cake to photograph in five minutes (maybe the side without my teeth marks?)

I like Joel's suggestion also, and I add to it a bit. Find out how much money they have to spend and get it all.

Thanks Guys.