Thread: The digital switch!

The digital switch!

Hey everyone, I currently have the Elan 7ne and I love all the features of it with my 430ex. I want to jump to a digital body that I can get similar features, especially with the flash, and also use my same lenses. I understand I may have to buy another wide lens because I am thinking that the only affordable options in my price range will be cropped sensors. Age is not so much a factor as I know I will for sure be buying used. I am looking for suggestions on body choices in the 400 price range. Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...3_Digital.html

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...l_t5_dslr.html

Both are crop bodies and both are new.
    I would go for a new body rather than a used body at these prices.
    I bought the wife a t4 and I think it is great. Go for the t5 if you can make the stretch.

If you're looking for a used camera with a top-LCD like your Elan 7ne, the 50D is a good crop sensor choice for around $400. Here's a used listing on eBay as an example: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Canon-EOS-50...item19f18d65e8

It uses CF cards, which I'm sure you could get used to. It's rather old, but it's a great prosumer camera even to this day. Though it might have more features than you need, and I'd definitely say that you should look into HDNitehawk's options as well.
    Gear list:
    Canon 60D gripped, 70-200mm F/2.8 IS II, 17-55mm F/2.8 IS, 50mm 1.8 II, 580ex II and soon to be a 5D Mark III

Thanks for the replies guys! I believe that when I was looking around the 50d caught my eye. Age does not really matter as it will be new to me and I am not ready familiar with the newer features that are out there and they will not be missed. When you say CF cards.... Is that a memory card? What would make them hard to use?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A CF card is a CompactFlash card-- it's not really harder to use. Most laptops have built in SD card slots, but few have Compact Flash slots-- so you'd likely have to buy a CF card reader. That's not really a big deal since they're pretty cheap, and most pro cameras use CF cards still since they're much more reliable and keep up their speed better.

Here's a picture of a SD card next to a CF card-- you're likely familiar with the SD card, but the CF is a bit bigger.
    http://s2.blomedia.pl/fotoblogia.pl/...cf-496x317.jpg
    Gear list:
    Canon 60D gripped, 70-200mm F/2.8 IS II, 17-55mm F/2.8 IS, 50mm 1.8 II, 580ex II and soon to be a 5D Mark III

Senior Member nvitalephotography's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hjones View Post
    If you're looking for a used camera with a top-LCD like your Elan 7ne, the 50D is a good crop sensor choice for around $400. Here's a used listing on eBay as an example: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Canon-EOS-50...item19f18d65e8

It uses CF cards, which I'm sure you could get used to. It's rather old, but it's a great prosumer camera even to this day. Though it might have more features than you need, and I'd definitely say that you should look into HDNitehawk's options as well.
    I can vouch for the 50d being a great body, especially as a first digital. It has all the features you need and I like the bigger size compared to the rebels. I actually have a 50d on ebay right now(not trying to get you buy mine I swear). It is a great body though, I'm only getting rid of it because its become unused with the new bodies I have.

50d was my first digital camera.
    For all the features in the t4 and t5 I would go for the newer sensor of these cameras.
    Age matters with digital, the newer the sensor technology the better.
    It would be my suggestion if buying a crop sensor camera you buy the newest version you can.

Quote Originally Posted by Farmskis View Post
    Age does not really matter as it will be new to me and I am not ready familiar with the newer features that are out there and they will not be missed.
    Age does matter: newer models have less noise, better AF, better/easier menus, and generally more responsive.

Quote Originally Posted by HDNitehawk View Post
    Age matters with digital, the newer the sensor technology the better. It would be my suggestion if buying a crop sensor camera you buy the newest version you can.
    My current advice is to tell people to buy a camera no older than 3, relative to its release (to shipping) date. So much happens every year that anything older is OLD.
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.