Thread: Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Vs Tamron 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di VC USD

Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Vs Tamron 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di VC USD

Hello everybody

My first post here! I was looking for a lens review and found this beautiful site with nice and professional review, thank you Bryan!

I own an old Canon 400D with the stock lens - 18-55. I have been thinking of a new lens for a while and time may have come. A friend suggested the aforementioned Tamron, and it seems a nice lens for the price. But then I've found a 70-300 canon EF IS USM at basically the same price (second hand from a shop, with warranty - the Tamron I was looking for was second hand as well), looked around and it seems much better than the Tamron.

I am an amateur, I don't really know much about lenses. I appreciate any opinion you may have on the matter!

Thanks for your help!

Tony

The Canon 70-300 (non L) is very nice, the sharpness drops off beyond 200mm, but I never really found it a problem. My biggest gripe was the AF when tracking fast objects like aircraft, searching back and forth at critical times, which isn't so much of an issue in slower moving subjects. I still got some great high speed target shots with the lens, but grew frustrated at times.

I upgraded to the 70-300L before Xmas, which is a real step up, but I'd certainly give the Canon non L a huge thumbs up for the 5 yrs service it gave me - I've never used the Tamron, so can't really offer an opinion on that.

Tony
    Welcome to the forum.
    I have the Tamron. I think it is well worth the price but it does have its short comings. I had the opportunity to compare my lens to the Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 EX DG OS HSM. From 70 to 200 my Tamron was sharper wide open. The Tamron becomes soft wide open between 200 to 300. While using the Tamron I tried to never go past 200. I have since replaced it with the Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L IS USM. The Canon is much sharper and much faster auto focus than the Tamron. While shooting sports my keeper rate with the Tamron was maybe 50%. With the Canon maybe 90%.
    The Canon you mention I have no experience with.
    Another thing about the Tamron is the zoom ring rotated the opposite direction from Canon. This caused confusion for me at times when switching from one lens to another.
    Based on reviews and experience I would probably go with the Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM

Look forward to seeing some images posted from you
    Mark

Thanks for your replies, appreciated.
    I look forward to owning one of those lens too! I'll think a little more about it and see.
    Thanks
    Tony

Hi there,

Eventually I bought the second hand Canon. Went out today for my first tests and I am very happy with that! I am amazed by the IS, I thought it was a sort of gimmick, instead it's simply great, I did not know it could work so well.

I've posted some shots here

Looking forward to your opinions and thanks again for your help in choosing the lens!