Thread: Canon 600d, can this still be a good offer?

Canon 600d, can this still be a good offer?

Hello everyone,

i friend of mine is moving his first step in the world of digital photography. He tried my Canon 600d, loved it also if is a bit old, and searched for some offers.

He found this offer from a trusted seller:

Canon 600d + Accessories (charging cable, battery, etc)
    18-55 F3.5-5.6 kit lens
    55-250 f4-5.6 IS II

Everything around 560 euro (~737$).

Is that a good offer? I mean, beginning the exploration of this world, with an entry camera... is the 600d, with those lenses, a valuable "first step camera", or you can find something really new (APS-C sensor) that for a bit more investment is really more valuable?

He is attracted by the possibility to start with 2 lenses, mainly.

Thank you all

Andrea
    Last edited by jamsus; 08-29-2014 at 08:55 AM.
    Dogs and cats, living together! Mass hysteria!

Jamsus

At least here in the US, I don't think so. I am not sure about Italy (I assume Florence is Italy)....Here is a similar bundle new from B&H for less.

Not only is it cheaper, but they throw in a bag and a 16GB Sandisk SD card too.

Buying used is tricky. I'll buy used from B&H and Adorama because they're large, have staff to actually check for problems, and handle returns without issue. The downside of buying used from them is that I have to pay taxes. On the plus side, everyone is Canada overprices their items, so even after tax and international shipping, B&H and Adorama are cheaper.

I wouldn't buy used from EBay, Craiglist, Kijiji (basically online classified ads, anywhere that a random person can sell whatever they want). I wouldn't even trust my local camera shops. I don't think their staff would thoroughly check the lens (I've rented a broken lens locally. Why would I trust them more on a sale?).

I know the stores/sites I'm listing aren't local to you, but the idea is the same. If you have some well known store (not a chain), like B&H or Adorama, that has expertise and a good return policy, I'd pay a bit more for that. The idea of "not a chain", is that all of B&H and Adorama's techies are all in New York. The same small pool of experts will test and rate every lens. They've already earned the trusts of thousands, if not millions of people. In a chain, how do you know your local store even has an expert, or what he's willing to claim is "like-new" in order to sell it for more?
    On Flickr - Namethatnobodyelsetook on Flickr
    R8 | R7 | 7DII | 10-18mm STM | 24-70mm f/4L | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 | 50mm f/1.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 70-300mm f/4-5.6L | RF 100-500mm f/4-5-7.1L

Seems expensive for that model. Not surprised B&H has it for less.
    If you see me with a wrench, call 911

Quote Originally Posted by Busted Knuckles View Post
    Seems expensive for that model. Not surprised B&H has it for less.
    Yes, you are right... but here in Italy we didn't found 600d + 2 lenses at a lesser price (on a trusted seller). Euro is a bad beast

Thank you everyone for replies
    Dogs and cats, living together! Mass hysteria!

Jamsus

Quote Originally Posted by jamsus View Post
    Yes, you are right... but here in Italy we didn't found 600d + 2 lenses at a lesser price (on a trusted seller). Euro is a bad beast

Thank you everyone for replies
    My local shop(in NL) sells that set for 620€ so I think for a new set it isn't a bad price.
    Also don't forget that here in Europe taxes are already applied to the price. In the US they pay taxes afterwards, so don't get fooled by their amazingly low prices

If it's the best option for your friend, I don't know about that. A 700D with 18-55 or maybe even 60D might be a better starting point?