Thread: Daytime Long Exposure

Daytime Long Exposure

I recently had a chance to do some day time long exposure photography.
    I feel there is no wow factor in the shots and to me it feels like I am missing something.

Any suggestions to improve them would be great. Thanks

IMG_3259 by DSLR Newbie, on Flickr

IMG_3256 by DSLR Newbie, on Flickr

I think that the photo would look better if you had a more interesting foreground (2nd photo) and clouds in the sky to give the impression that the shutter was slowed down. You also may not have a strong enough ND filter for day time long exposures. These are difficult photos to take, at least for me.

I would also stamp out the sensor dust spots as well and bump up the saturation.
    --

I would have cropped out the washed-out left side. You have to much DR to contend with if you include the sun lit side of the pier. Also, you get drawn into the photo more if you keep it cropped to keep inside the pier columns. Here is an example of what I am talking about:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Example-.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	136.6 KB 
ID:	2265

Something that could help further is to us a CPL to get ride of the reflections on the foreground rock. It would also be good to center your camera between columns so you do not get more daylight on one side compared tot the other... if you are going to be off center, then skew it so the shadow side shows through and blocks the sunny side. But then again, this is all personal preference.

The second one is a little more difficult. James is right in that there needs to be more. Perhaps if you moved closer to the pier so the water extended from the foreground out to the horizon and was flanked by the rocks and the pier. Even better yet would be to get right next to the pier and use it to lead into the shot with the rock to the left just for added interest. Again, a CPL would have helped with the reflections in the sand and rocks... w/o the CPL you loose all the detail in the sand and rocks, which in turn washes away anything that may have been interesting in the foreground.

Pat
    5DS R, 1D X, 7D, Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6, 24mm f/1.4L II, 16-35mm f/4L IS, 24-105mm f/4L, 50mm f/1.8, 100mm Macro f/2.8L, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L, 580EX-II
    flickr

Since you are already using a tripod, it would be interesting to see a HDR-version of the first image. It should be possible to make three different exposures, and you will avoid the completely burnt-out left part of the image. That would also allow you to do some contrast enhancement to get a more dramatic effect on the pier.

Agree with the others. In addition, it can also be difficult getting great shots during the day. Early morning, late evening. Better shadows, softer light and less glare. I still shoot in the middle of the day as that is when I often see something interesting. But, if I can, I sometimes wait around for better light.

Also, just to mention, but if you sensor self cleaning doesn't take care of it soon, you may want to clean your sensor. It looks like you have a fair amount of dust on it.

Thank you All for the great advice. Now I know what to improve upon.

I did pick the worst time of the day i think as the second was shot at F22 with a 10 stop filter and i only got a 6 second shutter speed.

The dust i think was on the filter as here is an image at the same time without the filter.

IMG_3255 by DSLR Newbie, on Flickr

CPL, use one.

Clean the dust off sensor

Pick a better day, light is everything, find the time of day that the DR between the burn out sky and the shadows are closer
    Wait for clouds
    When you have about two stops difference, you get good separation of subjects.

Maybe use a graduated nd to kill the burn out on the left side of the piers.

If you are using light room try this, reduce the highlights, increase the light in shadows and decrease exposure.

First picture doesn't look in focus.

If you under expose it is easier to fix than if you burn it out.

Your top subject has the most potential for a great picture IMO.

Good Luck