Thread: Little bit of advice please!!!!!!

Little bit of advice please!!!!!!

Hi all

I've been asked to take my sons football(soccer) team photo at the weekend and I'm wanting to know a few tips that would improve my basic knowledge of photography around an image like this, which metering mode etc, I'm thing centre weight am I right?

Also how to get a good exposure on the day, I know this is weather dependent but chances are it will be over cast or raining because I'm in England

My camera is a bobby basic Canon 1100D and my lens i'll be using is Canon 18-135mm F/3.5-5.6 EF-S or I have the 18-55mm that came with the camera, whuch do you think will be best?

Any tips or advice appreciated

Ok not many tips coming in and the shoot is tomorrow, at least can someone answer one question please.

I have a mountable flash, if it's overcast would it be worth while using it?

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by wilding81 View Post
    Ok not many tips coming in and the shoot is tomorrow, at least can someone answer one question please.

I have a mountable flash, if it's overcast would it be worth while using it?
    Yes
    I am not sure of your experience level? Put your camera at ISO 100 or 200 depending on light. 400 if still too dark. Operate camera in manual and try metering the background for maybe 1/2 to full stop under exposed making sure shutter speed does not exceed 200 or go too low for hand held. Use flash in ETTL to fill the faces of your subject.
    Try practice with wife or friend in shade till you get the hang of it.
    Hope this helps.
    Mark

Thanks that's much appreciated, I normally leave iso to auto but use manual settings on the camera.
    I do have a tripod but was just going to do it free hand.

Do you have any idea what power setting to use the flash to fill the faces or would that depend on the lighting on the day, just don't want to keep adjusting and altering the setting while I'm in the shoot, I will practice in the garden with my son before hand though.

Thanks

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Sorry for the lack of response from me. I saw it and thought others more qualified. I only tend to shoot groups at family functions. In addition to Mark's thoughts, make sure your aperture is f/8-f/11. Keep your shutter speed at 1/80 or better (people move). You want a large dof to make sure everyone is in focus. Look for even lighting. I've seen many group shots ruined by uneven lighting either from harsh sun or inconsistent shade. Getting everyone in shade or late in the day would be best. Make sure the lines of the players are parallel to the camera sensor.

good luck.

Do you have any idea what power setting to use the flash to fill the faces
    Thanks
    ETTL, in other words, auto
    Image00060_fp by clemmb60, on Flickr
    Mark

ETTL sounds good but I got a cheap £80 Chinese one lol, it only comes in Manual mode.

ETTL sounds good but I got a cheap £80 Chinese one lol, it only comes in Manual mode.
    Oh
    Just have to try maybe starting at 1/4 power and practice till you get it. Unless you have a flash meter.
    Mark

Good advice so far......get them lined up in a place with an attractive background and away from harsh light. Recruit a helper to line up the kids with the smaller kids up front down on one knee and taller kids plus coaches behind them. Maybe have a couple soccer balls on the ground in front.

You do need f/8 and at least 1/125 sec but use enough ISO so you can meter the scene at zero or +2/3 stops then set your flash to 1/8 power. That will be a good starting point to take a test shot and adjust if needed. Then take at least 4 shots of the group to choose from later

Ps. If you want to do some post production work with layers check out Woody Walters backgrounds for sports....very cool stuff