Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 57

Thread: Sigma 150-600 Sport

  1. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Ottawa, ON
    Posts
    1,329
    I look a peek at that page, and I'm disappointed. Not in the lens... in the reviewers. Portraits, flowers, sideways action... nothing that would test the sport focus performance... one of the main reasons to look at this lens, I would expect. Sure, show the sharpness on a static subject compared to something else, but, please, test a sports lens in a sports situation!

    Of the 60 images or so, I think there was maybe 2 of an airplane not going sideways, and maybe 2 birds not standing still or going sideways. I didn't check the few sites that were listed as only showing downsized images... perhaps they were better, subject wise.
    On Flickr - Namethatnobodyelsetook on Flickr | On the web - http://www.GrassStainedPhoto.com
    1DsII | 7D | 7DII | 10-18mm STM | 18-135mm STM | 24-70mm f/4L | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 | 50mm f/1.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 70-300mm f/4-5.6L

  2. #22
    From what I've seen these lenses usually have to make their way into the hands of the public to start to see things like BIF shots or motorcycle races. Even the typical lens review sites (Bryan is an exception) have shots of statues, building facades and outdoor cafes.

    I'm really interested in the Sport, but even more interested in the Contemporary. If the C does weigh less (a lot less), and is optically close with decent AF performance it's a cinch. I find it odd though that Sigma doesn't know the physical specs of the C lens, you would think of all things that would be pretty much written in stone at this point? Anyway, I don't tend to shoot fast moving objects, so the C could be my cup of tea. Of course, it could be that once I have a lens like this I might change my mind! I've never used anything like this so I'm not sure just what will happen. I'll certainly be going to Elkhorn slough - a nearby and well known sanctuary for birds and wildlife. While I like the (assumed) cost savings of the C, the S really isn't that much more for its potential. Anyway, I have a Tokina 500mm reflex that I never really used for my Nikon DSLR's, so this is really going to be a new thing for me.

    Sadly, my Tamron 150-600 arrives tomorrow!
    Did you ever think you'd hear somebody say that? I was going to cancel my order when the Sigmas were announced, by I got distracted and after almost 3 months, all of a sudden I got my congratulations email from B&H! Although I'll test it out, I'm 99% sure I'm going to send it back. Even if the AF and IQ performance were identical, the advantages the Sigmas have (sealing, optic coatings, USB dock, new TC's...) outweigh the Tamron considerably IMHO. Plus, I've had fantastic luck with my Sigmas and love them all, and Tamron - not so much.

    Anyway, I may be kicking myself for letting go of a bird in the hand for something unknown moving around in the bush. And of course, I might not have the Sigma until this summer if I'm lucky!

  3. #23
    Super Moderator Kayaker72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    New Hampshire, USA
    Posts
    4,366
    On my phone but numbers are in at
    http://www.optyczne.pl/337.4-Test_ob...3;_obrazu.html

    Not yet up in English, but the charts are the same.

    EDIT: A link to the English version.

    Quick summary: sharper @ 600 mm than the 100-400L @ 400, 70-300L @300, or Tamron 150-600 @ 600. But not so much sharper that lenstip wouldn't consider the size, weight and cost difference. No observed AF issues.
    Last edited by Kayaker72; 10-29-2014 at 01:23 AM.

  4. #24
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    Posts
    18
    Anyone care to speculate if this lens mounted on a Canon 7D with battery grip would fit nicely into something like a Glass Taxi from Think Tank?

  5. #25
    Super Moderator Kayaker72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    New Hampshire, USA
    Posts
    4,366
    Quote Originally Posted by Falstaff View Post
    Anyone care to speculate if this lens mounted on a Canon 7D with battery grip would fit nicely into something like a Glass Taxi from Think Tank?
    I would not expect a problem...but I'll be able to speak with more evidence in a few days. I had pre-ordered the 150-600S on the day it was announced. Mostly to test it out. I just got an email, it is on its way.

    Of course, just in the nick of time. There is a trip I want more reach for coming up in early December. I had decided that if it hadn't shipped by this weekend that I would cancel the pre-order and wait for reviews.

    I am actually excited about this beast. We'll see. But, of course, since the pre-order things have changed a bit with the release of the 100-400 L II.

  6. #26
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    Posts
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by Kayaker72 View Post
    I would not expect a problem...but I'll be able to speak with more evidence in a few days. I had pre-ordered the 150-600S on the day it was announced. Mostly to test it out. I just got an email, it is on its way.

    Of course, just in the nick of time. There is a trip I want more reach for coming up in early December. I had decided that if it hadn't shipped by this weekend that I would cancel the pre-order and wait for reviews.

    I am actually excited about this beast. We'll see. But, of course, since the pre-order things have changed a bit with the release of the 100-400 L II.
    I hope you like the lens. I'm not sure when my preorder will show up. Being in Canada, I'm sure we received even less than the U.S. has if the reports are true. But to prepare for it, I've upped the weight limit for my arm and back excersises.

  7. #27
    Super Moderator Kayaker72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    New Hampshire, USA
    Posts
    4,366
    It is big. No doubt. But initial impressions are good. AF was faster than expected with no issues. I'll try to have some images up tomorrow. Need some better subjects. That may have to wait until the weekend.

  8. #28
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    Posts
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by Kayaker72 View Post
    It is big. No doubt. But initial impressions are good. AF was faster than expected with no issues. I'll try to have some images up tomorrow. Need some better subjects. That may have to wait until the weekend.
    I'm happy you got it. When you have the time, can you let me know the diameter of the lens hood? I imagine its close to 6 inches.

  9. #29
    Super Moderator Kayaker72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    New Hampshire, USA
    Posts
    4,366
    Quote Originally Posted by Falstaff View Post
    I'm happy you got it. When you have the time, can you let me know the diameter of the lens hood? I imagine its close to 6 inches.
    Yep. 5 1/4" at its widest. Not including the screw that protrudes out.

  10. #30
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    Posts
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by Kayaker72 View Post
    Yep. 5 1/4" at its widest. Not including the screw that protrudes out.
    Thanks! I'm considering bag options because what I have wasn't designed to carry such a monster.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •