Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Sigma 150-600 Sport

Quote Originally Posted by Kayaker72 View Post

If the optics and AF are even close to the other lenses in this weight class, this is a heckuva lens. I would definitely consider it. Along with my budget and other options.
    By the charts it will not be close to the 300mm F/2.8 II with a 2x at 600mm.
    The 300mm would be the better choice but the $4600 savings could take you on several cool trips with a cheaper lens.

Quote Originally Posted by HDNitehawk View Post
    By the charts it will not be close to the 300mm F/2.8 II with a 2x at 600mm.
    The 300mm would be the better choice but the $4600 savings could take you on several cool trips with a cheaper lens.
    Of course, that assumes that I have the extra $4,600 I doubt I do this year.

I am not even sure if super telephoto is where I am going to invest next. The 100-400L gets the job done, but I use it a lot less now that I mostly travel with the 70-200 II plus 2x TC. So, something different like the Tamron or this new Sigma, or eventually a Big White, would be very tempting.

Regarding its optics, all we have is the MTF chart. While, theoretically, these should be comparable, I have heard they do vary between manufacturers. So what I had done is compare the 150-600 MFT chart to the 120-300 f/2.8 sport. Their lines at 600 mm f/8 (150-600) and 300 mm f/8 (120-300) are comparable (slight edge to the 120-300). So then I looked at Bryan's test charts of the 120-300 @ 300 f/8 and was impressed. Here is a chart comparing the 120-300 @ 300 f/8 (assuming the 600 is similar) to the EF 300 f/2.8 +2xTC. I do give the edge to the Canon set up, but I am impressed by both. Then, compare it to the 100-400L +1.4xTC or even at the native at 400 mm. And finally the Tamron. Of course, the EF 600 f/4 II is better and has the aperture advantage.

So, if my assumption that the IQ of these two Sigma lenses is valid, the 150-600S may be good enough for a hacker photographer like myself. I am also thinking Sigma knows that it's lens is $1k better than the Tamron, otherwise it would have priced the 150-600S lower. So, as I mentioned before, I am very interested in the reviews, in particular of IQ and AF.

Available for pre-order....

For those interested, a few photos have started showing up on Flickr.

Personally, I am torn on this lens. It fits a hole I have in my kit (>400 mm), and it fits the budget I expect to have in a few months. It is big...and heavy, but not necessarily to the point where I think either would inhibit me. Ultimately, other, more expensive lenses are likely what I want to end up with. But my 100-400L is getting very little use since I added the 70-200 II plus 2x TC to my kit. And this would be a nice complement. Of course, all this is assuming that it is better than the Tamron and the 100-400L plus 1.4xTC.

I wouldn't be surprised that it takes the Tamron on the long end by a noticeable difference in a side by side. No doubt the Tamzooka is a little soft on the long end.
    If you see me with a wrench, call 911

That is one of the things I am expecting as well. One thing I am waiting for is to see where the aperture changes. With that large front element how long do they keep it at f/5.6?

I had to order this lens. I'm going on safari next July in Tanzania and need something with better reach than my wonderful Canon 70-300 L. Close up shots of animals are my preferred subject. The size and weight of this lens will be a bit of an issue, but I plan on lifting weights to get ready for it.

Just saw this review. If this guy has one, I am hoping that Bryan does too.

A number of the photos are posted here.
    Last edited by Kayaker72; 10-17-2014 at 06:58 PM.

Over on the Sigma Rumors site they're reporting that someone received a message from Sigma stating that due to a higher number of preorders, this lens will be in short supply for the near future.

I too, hope Bryan can get one soon. At $2000.00, it sits right at the very top of my budget for a super zoom. I never thought I'd be able to afford a lens this size. Hopefully it'll fit in a Think Tank Glass Taxi with a 7DMII attached.

For those keeping track, Sigma rumors has a nice page going with links to reviews as they come in. There were some good links recently to hands on previews from popphoto and image resource. But I found this link to a site comparing an old Nikon 600 f/5.6 lens interesting.