Thread: Samyang 12mm f/2.8 Fisheye

Samyang 12mm f/2.8 Fisheye

So far, I think this is the lens I am most interested in so far, unless Canon surprise announces a 100-400 replacement . Although, the 24mm Pancake is a bit interesting, I'll take one on an SL1 for street photography

http://www.cinema5d.com/samyang-12mm...frame-cameras/

I've been wanting a fisheye for a while, and was considering buying Canon's 15mm f/2.8 used, (don't want to drop $1,000 on their L fishy) so this coming along now is great, assuming it's going to be around $500~

What does everyone else think of it? I plan on using it, if I get it, for shows, landscapes, starscapes, and maybe some extreme sports like BMX, skateboarding, snowboarding, etc.

I honestly hadn't given it much thought. But you are right, it could be a fun lens. It will be interesting to see the price point.

All that said, I really enjoy my Rokinon 14 f/2.8. Sharp lens. I did bring two in to test when I first purchased the lens. One was very sharp the other had issues and was nowhere near as sharp. I think this is probably the reality with Samyang. If you look at Bryan's IQ tests, the lens is not very good. But then you switch over to photozone.de or lenstip.com and it is excellent wide open. So, I would be careful with their quality control.

My Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 is pretty good, but I think I've only ever shot it wide open once or twice. I usually set it to f/8 (with a tripod) and fire away. It's a very fun lens.

I am definitely interested in the Rokinon 12mm fisheye (I also have the 8mm fisheye for APS-C and it's a blast). But I'm even more intrigued by Tamron's latest announcement - the full-frame compatible SP 15-30mm F/2.8 DI VC USD Lens.

I've used my 14 f/2.8 @ f/2.8 a fair amount. Impressive sharpness. I tend to want to adjust the colors more with this lens than others, but, still, I am very happy with it. Hard to beat for the $270 (occasional sale price) to $330 lens.