Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: 7d ii

7d II

Sure TDP isn't that other rumor site.

But now that all the sites are claiming they have confirmed specifications I would have thought a thread would have at least popped up here.

Looking at the spec's other sites are claiming are correct, what are we seeing that is new or groundbreaking?
    The interesting thing I see are the dual digic 6 processors. Processors are not talked about much but the reason (or enabler) for many of the improvements in AF and Noise were tied to them (not that a processor reduces noise but the programs it runs will). Better firm ware makes better pics I think that one is often overlooked.

I borrowed this from CR;

Specifications

• All metal body
    • Dust and weather resistant
    • GPS
    • 20.2MP CMOS sensor
    • 10 fps
    • 65 AF point all cross type
    • Dual Pixel CMOS AF
    • EOS iTR Autofocus
    • Dual DIGIC6
    • Max ISO 16000
    • RGB + IR Photometry Sensor
    • Intervalometer

Our Full Specifications

• Kit lenses: 18-135 IS STM and 15-85 IS (no STM)
    • CF, UDMA mode 7 + SD, UHS-I
    • GPS is in the camera
    • No WiFi
    • Fixed LCD, with no touch function.
    • 20.2MP APS-C Sensor
    • Dual Pixel CMOS AF
    • Dual DIGIC 6 Processors
    • 65 AF points “All Cross-type”. Dual cross on the center point.
    • f/8 on center point at least, could be on more points.
    • 10fps
    • ISO 100-16000, ISO Boost mode 25600 and 51200 (updated this to 16000)
    • 1080p/720p both get 60fps
    • Servo AF for video shooting.
    • Anti-flicker mode, eliminates flickers under flickering lights (e.g. fluorescent lamps).
    • Spot metering size 1.8%
    • Built-in flash
    • Intervalometer
    • Mic and headphones connectors
    • Can sync time between 7D II cameras.
    • Lens electronic MF
    • About 100% coverage OVF
    • New Battery – LP-E6N
    • New Battery Grip BG-E16
    Last edited by HDNitehawk; 10-31-2014 at 01:29 PM.

I think those are pretty impressive specs. I think it will make a lot of consumers happy. I am most interested in details that won't be known until there are a few hands-on reviews. What is the low-ISO/high-ISO noise like? Did they upgrade sensor tech? What is the exact benefit of IR in the AF sensor (how "dark" of light can this camera focus)? What is the general IQ in terms of sharpness and color? Is there an improvement in DR?

And I am not a DRone, but, still, what is the range of the 7D? And what is the price (rumor $1,799 to $2,199)

But, overall, that is a very solid spec list, IMO. Whether it is "exceptional" or "revolutionary" will only be known once people get their hands on it and see what it can do.

But, generally speaking, Canon hasn't missed many marks and seem to do a great job of developing cameras for a particular niche that can also be used more broadly. I know that people complain. But people always complain. I expect this to be very solid. I am not sure what it would take to get me interested in buying one. I have considered it as a less expensive way to get reach. But it would need clean ISO 3200, and I am not expecting that.

I am most interested to see what technology may arrive in it that will next show up in the 5DIV.

Until then, and maybe even after, I'll very happily shoot with my 5DIII.

revolutionary, I think not. I would like a smaller camera to carry in the field.

The question for me is it a legitimate replacement for the 1D IV. Will it have the same feel to the picture that the 1D bodies have, or will it be under processed files like the 7D had. Canon seems to manipulate their bodies and software so they fit the niche they are in.

It looks like the same sensor as the 70d so I would suspect that you will have about the same DR as it.
    Clean ISO at 3200, I would settle for usable ISO at 3200.

You are right though, a review once it arrives will tell us more than the specs. Add quietness to the list of things I will be interested in.

One thing I want and is missing is a flip LCD, the one on the wife's t4i is very handy.

You will probably be waiting a few years for a 5DIV.

Kayaker, Clean at ISO 3200 depends on what you consider clean. I found the 7D usable to ISO 1600, and Canon claimed 3200 (with 6400, and 12800 as HIGH modes). Assuming I continue to accept one ISO less than Canon, then ISO 16000 / 2 = ISO 8000 should be acceptable.

I'd love to get the extra low-light capabilities over the 7D (and 1Ds2, where ISO 1600 is also the max usable setting), but yeah, I'm not jumping on it without sample images, someone doing AI Servo tests, etc.

edit: Said "/ 8" instead of "/ 2"... oops! But the intention was clear.
    Last edited by DavidEccleston; 09-12-2014 at 11:08 PM.
    On Flickr - Namethatnobodyelsetook on Flickr
    R8 | R7 | 7DII | 10-18mm STM | 24-70mm f/4L | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 | 50mm f/1.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 70-300mm f/4-5.6L | RF 100-500mm f/4-5-7.1L

The problem with noise testing on a base camera is that it doesn't account for the processing that goes on inside the camera. To me the test is what you can do with the RAW files. Usable at 3200, the 1D IV is usable IMO. The original 7D is not IMO. Anything above 3200 would just be icing on the cake.

I found that the threshold was crossed somewhere between ISO 800 and ISO 1600 on the 7D. Pretty dependable at ISO 800 and less, but I really tried to limit myself to ISO 400 or less. On the 5DIII, I rarely see issues at ISO 2000 or less. The threshold where noise starts to bug me is somewhere between ISO 3200 and ISO 6400 on the 5DIII, but I've taken shots at ISO 12,800 that are good.

This is why I don't expect the 7DII to meet what I want. Ultimately, it would almost need 1-1.5 stop improvement in high ISO noise and to clean up the low ISO noise.

Rick...that is an interesting question. I am not sure what goes into the "1D" magic. But I firmly believe IQ is more than the summation of the measured technical components. It could be techware or firmware or a combination of the two. But it would be interesting if Canon puts a little of that in the 7DII. We won't know until the reviews and ultimately that may tell us if the 7DII is meant as the successor to the 1DIV. It is an interesting question.

Quote Originally Posted by HDNitehawk View Post
    Looking at the spec's other sites are claiming are correct, what are we seeing that is new or groundbreaking?

• 65 AF point all cross type
    • EOS iTR Autofocus
    • RGB + IR Photometry Sensor
    • Intervalometer
    • f/8 on center point at least, could be on more points.

These all sound pretty good to me. I am not sure how the RGB + IR metering works, but can't hurt to have more info for metering... and could it help for low light situations??? The iTR Autofocus is a feature not on the 5D III... it is only found on the 1DX... that is nice to have, and does that put the AF system ahead of the 5D III??? The Intervalomter is an "about time" kind of feature, but still good to have w/o buying ML. All cross type points and f/8 autofocus is also a standout for this camera.

It will be interesting to see what the DIGIC6 does for it, and what the noise situation is. The noise, IQ, and to some extent the AF are what drove me away from the 7D. If those are solved here, then it is probably a pretty solid camera for the price (assume that is reasonably under $2k).

Pat
    5DS R, 1D X, 7D, Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6, 24mm f/1.4L II, 16-35mm f/4L IS, 24-105mm f/4L, 50mm f/1.8, 100mm Macro f/2.8L, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L, 580EX-II
    flickr

Quote Originally Posted by Kayaker72 View Post
    Rick...that is an interesting question. I am not sure what goes into the "1D" magic. But I firmly believe IQ is more than the summation of the measured technical components. It could be techware or firmware or a combination of the two. But it would be interesting if Canon puts a little of that in the 7DII. We won't know until the reviews and ultimately that may tell us if the 7DII is meant as the successor to the 1DIV. It is an interesting question.
    IIRC, a lot of the 1D magic is the caliber/quality of the analog amplification between the pixel and the A/D converter. I think the 1-series has analog amplification at the full-stop increments, while still using bit math for the one-third-stop increments. Other series might be all digital, or at least of a lesser quality.
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.

On the topic of 1D images I find that the things I notice is better colour rendition and that the micro contrast is superior.
    On the 7Dii front I'll believe it when I can hold one in my hands. Too much speculation and too many very long lead times in delivery for me to think that a product that hasn't even been announced will be in stores soon.
    Definitely interested in a crop sensor for pixel density it it meets the same image quality standards as my full frame and H sensor bodied. Until then, not so much.

Quote Originally Posted by jrw View Post
    On the topic of 1D images I find that the things I notice is better colour rendition and that the micro contrast is superior.
    AF system, and your two items. Those are the things that I see that set the 1D's apart.