Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: 7d ii

Looks like Sean already answered while I was typing.
    5DS R, 1D X, 7D, Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6, 24mm f/1.4L II, 16-35mm f/4L IS, 24-105mm f/4L, 50mm f/1.8, 100mm Macro f/2.8L, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L, 580EX-II
    flickr

Quote Originally Posted by conropl View Post
    After he is done with them, he sells them as used equipment... so someone gets a fairly new camera with low miles at a discounted price. Seem like he is doing the photography community a service with the review as well as potentially providing a discounted camera.
    He does sell some of the cameras/lenses that he reviews on the used market. I acquired the site-reviewed 7D (orig. version) this way...long before I ever worked for the site. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Setters View Post

In the case of the 7D II, Bryan is preordering one for testing purposes and I'm preordering one for personal use.
    I am watching, B&H better not play favorites and ship yours first.

Quote Originally Posted by HDNitehawk View Post
    I am watching, B&H better not play favorites and ship yours first.
    Hey now, I posted the preorder news as soon as it became available. Don't you think I picked one up first? ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Setters View Post
    I may be ordering the 7D II even before Bryan does his full review. I know there's a few projects I'd like to have it for...
    Maybe ...

My order went in at 2:58 Central Time.
    Last edited by HDNitehawk; 10-03-2014 at 04:32 PM.

Ok, it's true - I didn't preorder as soon as I put the news up. But I eventually did. :-)

I'm curious Sean. As a fence sitter myself, what got you off the fence? What features did you see as must haves over your 7D.

There's a small IQ boost at high-ISO, and as we're talking 7D, not-so-high-ISO too.
    There's a small pixel count bump.
    There's a small framerate boost (okay, +25% isn't so small).
    There's improved AF, and AF point coverage.
    There's improved movies and STM, but without touchscreen focus point selection, and without WiFi for mobile device focus point selection, I'm not sure how you're expected to fully use the movie mode.
    I saw something mention it was compatible with the new ST-E3-RT master thingy, which implies it doesn't have a built in radio master.

What made this a compelling purchase for you? I could see someone upgrading for the AF improvements, but you tend to shoot non-action. Was it all about the not-so-high-ISO noise?
    On Flickr - Namethatnobodyelsetook on Flickr
    R8 | R7 | 7DII | 10-18mm STM | 24-70mm f/4L | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 | 50mm f/1.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 70-300mm f/4-5.6L | RF 100-500mm f/4-5-7.1L

Thanks for sharing. I also have zero reservations about it, that video helped. He wasn't just happy with it, he was raving about it. That speaks volumes.
    Adobe, give us courage to edit what photos must be altered, serenity to delete what cannot be helped, and the insight to know the one from the other.
    Canon EOS 7D - Canon EF-s 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM - Canon 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro - PCB Einsteins & PW Triggers

Quote Originally Posted by DavidEccleston View Post
    I'm curious Sean. As a fence sitter myself, what got you off the fence? What features did you see as must haves over your 7D.

There's a small IQ boost at high-ISO, and as we're talking 7D, not-so-high-ISO too.
    There's a small pixel count bump.
    There's a small framerate boost (okay, +25% isn't so small).
    There's improved AF, and AF point coverage.
    There's improved movies and STM, but without touchscreen focus point selection, and without WiFi for mobile device focus point selection, I'm not sure how you're expected to fully use the movie mode.
    I saw something mention it was compatible with the new ST-E3-RT master thingy, which implies it doesn't have a built in radio master.

What made this a compelling purchase for you? I could see someone upgrading for the AF improvements, but you tend to shoot non-action. Was it all about the not-so-high-ISO noise?
    Here are the features that sold me:

1) Movie AF - (Biggest feature for me) I've been shooting quite a bit more video lately (purchased a slider and a Glidecam HD4000), and being able to track subjects while panning/following with the Glidecam will be an extremely beneficial feature for me. Yes, I could get that in a 70D (although it's reported that the 7D Mark II does it better), but the other features listed below combined with the Movie AF feature made it a done deal.

2) Movie Recording Time of 29min 59sec - Right now, my EOS 7D stops recording after 4GB of data is recorded (about 10min, give or take). The 7D Mark II automatically generates another file and keeps on recording after the 4GB "limit." This means I have less to worry about if the wedding ceremony lasts longer than 10 minutes. Right now, I have to remember to walk back to my second camera to restart its recording. NOTE: Magic Lantern does have a feature that will automatically start recording again if recording is stopped for any reason. Unfortunately, that setting starts recording even when I manually stop recording with the button. This means that the setting must be disabled in order to use the camera for stills or for anything else (besides filming video). I find that to be a pain.

3) Advanced AF - After having enjoyed the 5D Mark III's AF system for so long, I can't imagine not having it in my backup camera body. The 5D III will still be my main body - because it's full-frame sensor will still be more beneficial for 75% of my portrait/wedding photography business. But whenever using my backup body, it's nice to know that its AF is just as capable and just as dependable as my main body.

4) 10 frames-per-second - This is a huge feature for me. I get by with my 5D III's 6fps when shooting sports, but 10 fps (combined with the advanced AF) will make sports shooting much more rewarding. I don't consider the original 7D's image quality at ISOs above 400 to be good enough for indoor sports – I'm banking that the 7D II's image quality will be.

5) Improved image quality - Granted, I'm comparing the 7D II to its predecessor, but from what I can see, images are sharper and with less noise. Win-win.

By the way, the 7D II's pop-up flash can act as an optical master flash - but you're right, it doesn't have radio communication built-in. No canon DSLRs have that feature...yet.