Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: 7d ii

Yeah, that's a problem (the not opening CR2s). In the comparometer tool, we're comparing in camera NR from 7D vs. in camera NR from 7D2. The "7D Lab samples" link under the "difference" link above, (or just click here), shows in camera NR set to 0 and set to 2. The 0 set might be the best indicator we have of actual sensor noise levels.
    On Flickr - Namethatnobodyelsetook on Flickr
    R8 | R7 | 7DII | 10-18mm STM | 24-70mm f/4L | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 | 50mm f/1.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 70-300mm f/4-5.6L | RF 100-500mm f/4-5-7.1L

Quote Originally Posted by HDNitehawk View Post
    In November you will hear about my 1D IV vs the 7D II

i can tell you the micro contrast of the 1D IV is a noticeable difference could be the deal breaker.
    The lens plays a huge factor in micro contrast, too. Couple the 1.6 FOVC factor, and the new processors, sensor, price, I'd say that the 7DII will hold its own.

Quote Originally Posted by HDNitehawk View Post
    I downloaded one of the CR2 files. It will not open any anything I have.
    If you're comfortable with the command line / Terminal, you can download a 70D RAW file and copy the EXIF headers from that file to the 7DII .CR2, and it will open in most of what you have...

Does Bryan have an evaluation copy already? Anyone know? Or will he be getting his the same time as everyone else? I'm not buying until February, when the tax fairy puts money in my account, but I'm so anxious to read this thoughts and findings! Lets face it, no one does reviews better. He's one of the few that knows the difference between an overview and a review.
    Adobe, give us courage to edit what photos must be altered, serenity to delete what cannot be helped, and the insight to know the one from the other.
    Canon EOS 7D - Canon EF-s 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM - Canon 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro - PCB Einsteins & PW Triggers

Bryan does not already have an evaluation copy. He'll likely be getting his from the first batch of preorder shipments (as will I).

We've tried and tried, but Canon USA is very conservative about evaluation copies. Canon UK is much more willing to loan evaluation gear, which is a big reason why DPReview always has a "First Glimpse" of newly announced Canon products (not that I'm bitter or anything – grrrrr).

You'd think that TDP was big enough and legit enough that Canon would be rushing to ensure you had everything you needed to tell the world about their latest toys... but I also understand the "gear bought at retail, we have no obligations to Canon" side of reviewing gear too.
    On Flickr - Namethatnobodyelsetook on Flickr
    R8 | R7 | 7DII | 10-18mm STM | 24-70mm f/4L | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 | 50mm f/1.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 70-300mm f/4-5.6L | RF 100-500mm f/4-5-7.1L

You'd think...but that doesn't seem to be the case. :-/

Quote Originally Posted by DavidEccleston View Post
    You'd think that TDP was big enough and legit enough that Canon would be rushing to ensure you had everything you needed to tell the world about their latest toys... but I also understand the "gear bought at retail, we have no obligations to Canon" side of reviewing gear too.
    I don't want TDP to be receiving special review gear, no matter how "big and legit" it may be - it's better for all of us if Canon doesn't have an opportunity to pick & choose which unit goes to a reviewer.

On the flip side, I struggle with the notion that TDP might pre-order 2-4 copies of something to be able to gather consistency data, while others are anxiously awaiting the 1 copy they've ordered. I'd sure like it if TDP developed a partnership with LensRentals.com such that one (or more) of LR's orders is auto-rented (and potentially direct drop-shipped) to TDP, so that the additional copies needed for consistency turn into rental stock after a reasonable period.
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.

Quote Originally Posted by peety3 View Post
    I'd sure like it if TDP developed a partnership with LensRentals.com such that one (or more) of LR's orders is auto-rented (and potentially direct drop-shipped) to TDP, so that the additional copies needed for consistency turn into rental stock after a reasonable period.
    Coincidentally enough, that's kind of what Bryan does with some lenses – especially the super-telephotos. He orders a couple of them, tests them, then sells one of them to LensRentals because they can always use the stock. Plus they're usually happy knowing the lens has been pre-vetted and they won't have any initial problems with it.

Typically speaking, Bryan preorders one camera/lens for review purposes. If his test results indicate a problem, that's when he orders additional units to either validate his results or confirm abnormalities. For reviews he feels are greatly anticipated, he may preorder two lenses just in case there is an issue with one (there rarely is) and to also ensure he gets the lens as soon as possible (assuming he orders from two separate retailers, one may arrive before the other).

In the case of the 7D II, Bryan is preordering one for testing purposes and I'm preordering one for personal use.

Quote Originally Posted by peety3 View Post

... On the flip side, I struggle with the notion that TDP might pre-order 2-4 copies of something to be able to gather consistency data, while others are anxiously awaiting the 1 copy they've ordered.
    Flipping the flip side... I do not know how many TDP orders; but if it was 2-4 out of the thousands ordered, it is such a small fraction of a percent that it is not really causing any overall heartache to the public in general. In fact, I think the opposite argument can be made. After he is done with them, he sells them as used equipment... so someone gets a fairly new camera with low miles at a discounted price. Seem like he is doing the photography community a service with the review as well as potentially providing a discounted camera.
    5DS R, 1D X, 7D, Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6, 24mm f/1.4L II, 16-35mm f/4L IS, 24-105mm f/4L, 50mm f/1.8, 100mm Macro f/2.8L, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L, 580EX-II
    flickr