2 14.29%
  • M_Six

0 0%
  • Kayaker72

3 21.43%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Now Voting: Assignment #70: Image Blends

Now Voting: Assignment #70: Image Blends

On behalf of Jayson, Assignment #68 Winner, we present the topic for Assignment #70: Image Blends

As described by Jayson:

What I'm looking for in this assignment is the blending of various images to create one beautifully crafted photo. The images could be completely different or very similar. A couple examples of blending I am looking for would be panoramas, focus stacked images, or photoshop collages. I am giving a wide range of latitude in terms of blending and I look forward to seeing what creativity everyone has to offer. I would like a short description of what you did to make the photo. This could be things such as the following:

The Finalists:

Neuroanatomist

Joel Eade

Poik

M_Six

Kayaker72

Good luck!
    Last edited by Kayaker72; 10-14-2014 at 12:36 PM.

I'll go first, with one from the archives.

I started with two panorama shots of Boston, from the other side of the Charles River (by the MIT campus). They were taken from the exact same spot, one at night and one during the following day. Each was a 10-shot pano at 70mm in portrait orientation (1D X, 24-70L II), although I cropped them to ~7 shots worth for this, so I could pick ends where the buildings lined up nicely. There were a few boats floating in the foreground, and I cloned those out (including the masts among the buildings). Then I converted both night and day panos into tiny planets, cleaned up the seams, pasted the day planet over the night planet, and applied a gradient layer mask.

"A Day on Planet Boston"

This image of an old church graveyard started with 3 bracketed exposures at -2, 0, +2 stops. These were merged and tone mapped with Photomatix Pro. The image was taken then into CS6 and a duplicate layer was created and treated with Nik Silver Efex Pro. The layers were flattened and the result was then opened in On one Effects and two textures were added as separate layers and masked into specific areas. The image was then flattened and saved as a 16 bit tiff file. This is the result.

This is a blended image of a friend of mine who wanted me to create something for an album cover. The sunset image was treated with fractalius. I resized the image of my friend to look like a giant guitar player on the horizon

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist View Post

I started with two panorama shots of Boston, from the other side of the Charles River (by the MIT campus). They were taken from the exact same spot, one at night and one during the following day. Each was a 10-shot pano at 70mm in portrait orientation (1D X, 24-70L II), although I cropped them to ~7 shots worth for this, so I could pick ends where the buildings lined up nicely. There were a few boats floating in the foreground, and I cloned those out (including the masts among the buildings). Then I converted both night and day panos into tiny planets, cleaned up the seams, pasted the day planet over the night planet, and applied a gradient layer mask.

"A Day on Planet Boston"
    This is awesome, first time you posted it I was amazed.

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist View Post

"A Day on Planet Boston"
    Quote Originally Posted by Joel Eade View Post
    This is awesome, first time you posted it I was amazed.
    I agree, and I found my self wanting to try this myself. So thanks for the detailed explanation... the one thing I would have missed for sure was applying the gradient mask (never dawned on me).
    5DS R, 1D X, 7D, Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6, 24mm f/1.4L II, 16-35mm f/4L IS, 24-105mm f/4L, 50mm f/1.8, 100mm Macro f/2.8L, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L, 580EX-II
    flickr

Hi Everyone...this is the last weekend for submissions for this assignment

This is a 14 shot panorama of Seattle:

- Eric
    Canon 7D, 70-200 f/2.8 II, 17-55 f/2.8, 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5, 100mm f/2.8 Macro, 50mm f/1.8 II, 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6, 2x III, 430EX II
    flickr.com/ericolsson

This is a 5 shot composite. Same FOV, but at any given point there were 3-5 people in the shot walking around the rocks. I used the 5 shots with the people having moved around to mask out them all out.

Central Park
    by Mark J Photography, on Flickr
    Mark - Flickr

This is an image of a Huey Helicopter that was created by blending 3 images and tone mapping them with Photomatix Pro and then finishing the image in CS6

1DX
    24-70mm f/2.8L II @ 24mm
    iso 800
    f/9
    1/1250