View Poll Results: A vote is consider support for a proposed change.

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • Should we have only have one topic at a time (currently two)?

11 68.75%
  • Should each assignment have a ~6 week entry period?

6 37.50%
  • Should we allow repeat topics?

7 43.75%
  • Should we prohibit the use of "archived" photos for assignment entries?

5 31.25%
  • Should we omit the poll at the end of an assignment (so, no winner)?

1 6.25%
  • Should there be a "How to" companion thread with each assignment?

9 56.25%
  • Should the moderator select images to be critiiqued at the end of the assignment?

4 25.00%
  • I voted in this poll (please check if you did)

14 87.50%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Changes to "Assignment" Threads??

Changes to "Assignment" Threads??

Hi Everyone,

Before starting the next assignment, I wanted to see if anyone had any suggestions in how we might adjust the assignment threads or if there is even enough interest to continue the assignments. I personally still enjoy the challenge and enjoy seeing everyone submissions. I have received PMs from several people who also enjoy them.

However, participation has been a bit low and I was wondering if anyone had suggestions in how to increase interest.

Thanks,
    Brant
    Last edited by Kayaker72; 10-16-2014 at 11:04 AM.

In my opinion we can use a unique THREAD for each category of pictures, and not different ones. It will help to focus the attencion on a single "virtual place" and enhance the competition on that.

For example:

This entry period for Week 40 will be from Monday September 29th through/including Sunday October 5th.

Images of the Week

Submit just one picture per category

Kind of picture:

Portraits -- Anything with eyes; people or animals
    Landscape -- Country, town, city, sea, abstract, things (water drops, smoke, flowers, candles, and so on)

Kind of tecnique:

Blending: any picture elaborated at least with blending
    HDR: any picture elaborated at least with hdr

Weekly shot: any picture taken in the last seven days!

---

Instead of creating different topics for different categories, make em all in one big thread.

Maybe it will be a little chaotic, but it's all in the same place.

Another cool thing would be having a sort of "historic-hall of fame" for previous week\pictures! ^_^
    Dogs and cats, living together! Mass hysteria!

Jamsus

I think Architecture could be a fun spinoff of the Landscape category…buildings, skylines etc. These are occasionally sprinkled in but as their own category might bring out some higher end images…just a thought….

Thanks for the ideas.

Just to be clear, the question was about the "Assignment #xx" threads and, at least not originally, the "2014-Image of the Week" threads. At least to me, these are two different concepts where the "Assignment xx" are supposed to provide a specific challenge and "Image of the Week" are more intended to allow people to present their best shots.

Granted, combining them in one or another is an interesting idea. I would at least want to be able to finish out 2014 with monthly/quarterly winners for landscape and portraits.

Ultimately, this is a community forum. So, with the declining submissions for "Assignment #xx" I wanted to see if anyone had those on how to make it better. We have two already, anyone else?

It would take some effort but....an annual TDP photo contest would be fun. Have multiple categories and a panel of judges. Anyone could enter by paying a small fee. but the assignment winner and image of the week winners would be given a free entry as a prize as well as having their image posted on the TDP home page. TDP might be able to get some corporate sponsors to donate prizes. Would not have to be extremely expensive stuff. It would require some effort but might be fun and spark more interest.

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Eade View Post
    Would not have to be extremely expensive stuff.
    While the thought of winning something inexpensive, like an EF200-400 1.4 would force me to enter more often. I think you, Sean, Denise, Bill, Bob, Neuro, Kayaker, Piok, Dave, Jonathan, Pat etc. would win most times (and deservedly so). I don't know what the laws are in the US but here competitions (involving money and/or prizes) are strictly regulated to stop scams. So this may well introduce a lot of work for Byran and others who run the site.

Some would say that the competition on this site (by those with talent) is intimidating, preventing others from posting, well that's always going to happen. I don't enter competitions very often, the last time I entered I didn't get any votes, this didn't bother me at all. The shot from Pat was just incredible, so he had to win.

http://community.the-digital-picture...ead.php?t=7773

What I like most about Assignments and keeps me coming back, is that gem of a shot that's makes me think "Maybe one day I could do that".
    Canon EOS 7D, EF-S 10-22, EF 24-105L, EF 50 f1.2L, EF 70-300L, 430EX.

"Criticism is something you can easily avoid, by saying nothing, doing nothing and being nothing." -
    Tara Moss

When there are only two left submitting photos it should be easy to win every other assignment.

The problem is not just with the assignments, it is with the number of visitors coming to the forums.

Quote Originally Posted by HDNitehawk View Post
    The problem is not just with the assignments, it is with the number of visitors coming to the forums.
    Just looking at the stats there are a lot of visitors (GMT +11. 08:52 AM) even when most users in the US should be asleep. As I see it, the problem is not a lack of visitors but a lack of participants.

Currently Active Users
    There are currently 178 users online. 7 members and 171 guests
    Most users ever online was 370, 11-16-2012 at 06:22 PM.

The-Digital-Picture.com Community Statistics
    Threads 6,835 Posts 86,968 Members 3,558 Active Members 80
    Canon EOS 7D, EF-S 10-22, EF 24-105L, EF 50 f1.2L, EF 70-300L, 430EX.

"Criticism is something you can easily avoid, by saying nothing, doing nothing and being nothing." -
    Tara Moss

Quote Originally Posted by Raid View Post
    While the thought of winning something inexpensive, like an EF200-400 1.4 would force me to enter more often. I think you, Sean, Denise, Bill, Bob, Neuro, Kayaker, Piok, Dave, Jonathan, Pat etc. would win most times (and deservedly so). I don't know what the laws are in the US but here competitions (involving money and/or prizes) are strictly regulated to stop scams. So this may well introduce a lot of work for Byran and others who run the site.

Some would say that the competition on this site (by those with talent) is intimidating, preventing others from posting, well that's always going to happen. I don't enter competitions very often, the last time I entered I didn't get any votes, this didn't bother me at all. The shot from Pat was just incredible, so he had to win.

http://community.the-digital-picture...ead.php?t=7773

What I like most about Assignments and keeps me coming back, is that gem of a shot that's makes me think "Maybe one day I could do that".
    I think the rules could be set to encourage a diverse group of entires and limit the chances of just a small number of people winning too frequently. You could even have a category for new members or first time posting etc....

I agree the assignments and images of the week are fun to see because you get a glimpse of other photographer's vision and technique. It is a valuable learning experience. I just thought some simple prizes or recognition might be a motivational tool that would help increase forum participation.

This is a good discussion. I'm wondering if we should try eliminating the voting part of the assignments altogether. Instead, everyone would be encouraged to comment on the images, either during the assigment or perhaps more productively, at the end. I'm wondering if that would help encourage people to submit their shots, whether or not they think they are 'winners'. Since this is such a polite and friendly forum, there are going to be lots of people ready to offer praise and constructive criticism on the photos, which I think is always helpful. At the end of the assignment topic, the moderator could perhaps choose a half-dozen images for critique by the group. We'd all be welcome to comment on them and offer suggestions for improvement. I'm sure there is a better way of doing this than I'm describing right now, but you get the drift. Anyhow, just a wild thought! C&C welcome