8 42.11%
  • clemmb "Girl with Pumpkin"

4 21.05%
  • Kombi "Up Close"

7 36.84%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Congratulations Jayson!!! Assignment #71: Prime Time

Congratulations Jayson!!! Assignment #71: Prime Time

On behalf of Assignment #69 winner, Jonathan Huyer, I present Assignment #71: Prime Time

As described by Jonathan:

There was a good thread recently about using prime lenses, so I thought it would make for a good assignment topic. Call it "Prime Time". The assignment is to post a picture where you intentionally chose a prime lens to get a result that wouldn't normally be possible with a zoom lens. Perhaps it is because you used a wide aperture (f/1.4 for example) for narrow depth of field or low-light conditions, or perhaps you wanted to exploit the inherent sharpness of your prime lens and get a photo with a better IQ than you could with one of your zooms. I'm going to exclude macro images and super-telephotos shots from this assignment, but tilt-shift images are welcome.

The finalists are:
    Jayson "Happy Hornet"

clemmb "Girl with Pumpkin"

Kombi "Up Close"

The poll will be open for 1 week.

Good luck!
    Last edited by Kayaker72; 11-20-2014 at 11:20 AM.

I choosed my 40mm f/2.8 STM prime lens because... i got nothing else under that focal range with me (my brother broke the 18-55 a few days before)!

Ring of Bogdar, Orkney Islands

by Jamsus on Flickr
    Dogs and cats, living together! Mass hysteria!

Jamsus

Jamsus' image reminded me that I also meant to ask people to state the reason they used a prime lens. So when you post your shot, please let us know why you picked that particular lens. Even if it's because that's the only lens you have . Thanks!

Entry - "Happy Hornet"
    I took my fisheye on a recent family vacation and used it to make the Hudson Hornet smile while this lovely lady was sitting on his hood. I initially took it to take some landscape shots, but ended up using it for a bunch of different family style photos. Only wish I would have brought some type of flash since my M doesn't have a pop up for fill.

EOS M, Rokinon 8mm f/3.5 Fisheye, f/8, 1/80th sec, ISO 250

I specifically bought the EF 24mm f/1.4L so I could get some decent night time landscapes. When I go out at night I can travel light with just my camera, tripod, 24mm lens, and an intervolometer. This lens along with a good high ISO capable camera can get some terrific night shots, and keep the shutter speed low enough to get nice stars without star trails. I was hoping to get more stars in this shot, but the full moon was to bright... so I used the nice moonlight to provide the lighting.

Bond Falls by the Moonlight-7913 by westmichigan, on Flickr
    5DS R, 1D X, 7D, Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6, 24mm f/1.4L II, 16-35mm f/4L IS, 24-105mm f/4L, 50mm f/1.8, 100mm Macro f/2.8L, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L, 580EX-II
    flickr

I use3d my 135 f2 for a sharp image with shallow depth of field
    Image00017_fp8x10 by clemmb60, on Flickr
    Mark

As mentioned in another thread, the entry period for this assignment is going to be extended to November 9th.

Up Close - PHOT1030 by syncro_kombi, on Flickr

EF85mm f/1.2L 1/250s F 1.2, ISO 200

wanted shallow depth of field to capture just enough in focus

Shot with Sigma 50mm Art at f/1.4
    Cordova Cemetery by sambisu, on Flickr

Also taken with Sigma 50mm Art, but for this I stacked two images - one taken at f/8 to get all of the headstones as sharp as possible and one taken at f/1.4 for the blurred background.
    Cordova Cemetery by sambisu, on Flickr
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/sambisu/

5DIII, T2i, Canon 24-70 f/2.8L II, Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, Canon 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II, Canon 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II, 600EX-RT x2

Quote Originally Posted by conropl View Post
    I specifically bought the EF 24mm f/1.4L so I could get some decent night time landscapes. When I go out at night I can travel light with just my camera, tripod, 24mm lens, and an intervolometer. This lens along with a good high ISO capable camera can get some terrific night shots, and keep the shutter speed low enough to get nice stars without star trails. I was hoping to get more stars in this shot, but the full moon was to bright... so I used the nice moonlight to provide the lighting.
    I would love to see a timelapse of this over a an hour or so. You are giving me a yearning for fast glass
    If you see me with a wrench, call 911