Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: wireless flash on a budget

Does anyone use the Yongnuo flashes? If so, which one would you recommend? I'd like an equivalent of the 430EXII.

Quote Originally Posted by shutterdown View Post
    Does anyone use the Yongnuo flashes? If so, which one would you recommend? I'd like an equivalent of the 430EXII.
    I've used the 565EX, and as I said, had a bad experience. However, I believe they've fixed that and a lot of things with possible the exception of "wobbly foot" syndrome.

If I were looking at a flash system today - I would check out the Yongnuo YN-600EX-RT. It's basically an exact copy of the Canon, and uses their RT system. I've purchased the YN-E3-RT controller, which is excellent. It adds AF assist which the ST-E3-RT is lacking. Also, it has the ability to update firmware - which seems to be necessary for it to work as new bodies come out. It's quite easy to use though.

If you get the YN-600EX-RT, you could down the road invest in the transmitter, and other flashes - or even add Canons to the mix when your budget allows it. This flash has all the functionality of the Canon, including ETTL and HSS. The physical build of their flashes is excellent. And of course, you can just read the Canon manual instead of the Yongnuo. These flashes are available now, and B&H has started carrying the line. The YN-600EX-RT goes for around $175. As opposed to $500 for the Canon. Heck, you could buy 2 Yongnuo flashes and their controller for the cost of 1 Canon, and have everything necessary to have your off camera flash setup.

Another brand that's worthy of consideration is Shanny. Some of the Yongnuo engineers split and formed this company. They too have a controller like the ST-E3-RT, however along with adding AF assist, it also functions as an optical controller - so it is compatible with older flashes! Also, they've got a 600EX-RT clone. On top of that, they have what you could call a base 600EX, and the ability to snap on a little "RT" adapter. What I like about Shanny is that they seem to be thinking on their own, and some of their products are not exact copies of Canon. They look different, but still have the same functionality in menus etc. Again, the pricing is about the same.

I really like the Canon RT system. However, the price of entry for many people really is steep. It's hard to dip your toe into new waters when the cost is so high.

Getting back to your comment on something like a 430EX, there really isn't one unless you look at the Metz flashes. The MZ-44 is about the same size as the 430EX. Unfortunately, it's close to the same price as well. Perhaps this is why they filed Chapter 11. Comparable Nissin flashes are a bit larger, and the same cost as the Canon.

Which brings me to a small rant. I really hope that Canon comes out with a 440EX-RT soon. I think a smaller flash (almost everything I've mentioned are full size exact duplicates of the 600EX) that had a little less power and RT capabilities would be a real winner. Not everybody wants or needs a full size full power flash. Heck, I'd buy one! Sometimes I like hauling my one lens one body bag around, and a smaller flash would be just the ticket. Sometimes we're just shooting inside of a small space, or need just a little extra fill.

It also dumbfounds me why Canon doesn't seem to have plans to build-in their RT functionality. The 7DmkII would have been perfect to launch such capabilities! I know they want to sell their controller, I get that. But instead, why not take a cue from Shanny and make a little attachment for the 580EX II that would add RT capabilities? How cool would that be? They'd sell millions of 'em - it's not like there's not hundreds of thousands of photographers out there that have invested heavily in the 580EX. It would probably cost next to nothing to make, and they could easily charge $99 for the things. It's a win/win. /rant

If you like 3rd party flashes and want to use them off camera, the Lumopro flashes are really good. Mine is the LP160 which I believe has been replaced by a newer model.

They have an optical slave mode that is handy.

Dave