Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 24-105 from 24-70

24-105 from 24-70

So I just bought a 24-105 f4 from canon to replace my 24-70 2.8L I.

Some may call me crazy, but I have found that I am not carrying my camera around as much anymore due to the fact my 24-70 is just so heavy and non-discrete (hey everyone look at me, I'm a photographer!!).

I'm not really shooting weddings anymore so I hardly use the 2.8 aperature.

Anyone else make this move? Think i'll regret it?
    5D mark III, 50D, 17-40 f4L, 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4L ​IS, 28 f1.8, 50 f1.8, 85 f1.8, 100 f2.8 Macro

I bought the 24-105 about five years ago, took it back a few weeks later and bought the f/2.8.
    I just can't see this move for a weight savings, it doesn't look like enough to matter.
    For the IS maybe, not weight.

Quote Originally Posted by HDNitehawk View Post
    I bought the 24-105 about five years ago, took it back a few weeks later and bought the f/2.8.
    I just can't see this move for a weight savings, it doesn't look like enough to matter.
    For the IS maybe, not weight.
    I suppose I forgot to mention the bonus of the IS. I feel like having IS will prompt me to take my camera to more places (spur of the moment outings) than in the past.

I tend to always use a tripod when doing most of my shoots (Landscape is my most shot subject). I tend to miss a lot of shots because I don't want to or dont have time to take out my tripod and set up for the shot. However, IS would allow me to narrow the aperture a bit more and take lower ISO shots that I couldn't have done hand held otherwise (This is in a situation where I don't have my tripod with me, mind you).

So, I guess what I'm saying is, The IS should allow me to take more shots in situations that I am ususally less comfortable, and it will weigh less, and will be more insconspicuous than the 24-70.
    5D mark III, 50D, 17-40 f4L, 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4L ​IS, 28 f1.8, 50 f1.8, 85 f1.8, 100 f2.8 Macro

Dave I am going through the same dilemmas you. I have been seriously considering replacing my 24–70 mm with the 24–105 mm for about two years now. I had the lens in my cart at the last refurbish sale but I didn't pull the trigger at the right time. Now if I buy it I'll lose $100. I want to sell my 24–70 mm lens before I buy the 24–105 mm. I am finding it hard to part with due to the difference in cash from when I paid to what I would sell it for now. I didn't use it that much for a long time because I prefer primes but I'm forcing myself to use it more often now. I do love the lens but it is so heavy to carry around all the time. My wife refuses to use my camera because that lens so heavy. if I were to get the 24–105 mm I believe it would be better suited for my landscape photography and what I would use it for photographing my kids. I would definitely use the IS much more than I used it 2.8 aperture. I also plan on getting the 6D sometime in the near future so the loss of one stop of light really won't hurt me much comparing it to the noise level on the 7D.

Quote Originally Posted by Jayson View Post
    Dave I am going through the same dilemmas you. I have been seriously considering replacing my 24–70 mm with the 24–105 mm for about two years now. I had the lens in my cart at the last refurbish sale but I didn't pull the trigger at the right time. Now if I buy it I'll lose $100. I want to sell my 24–70 mm lens before I buy the 24–105 mm. I am finding it hard to part with due to the difference in cash from when I paid to what I would sell it for now. I didn't use it that much for a long time because I prefer primes but I'm forcing myself to use it more often now. I do love the lens but it is so heavy to carry around all the time. My wife refuses to use my camera because that lens so heavy. if I were to get the 24–105 mm I believe it would be better suited for my landscape photography and what I would use it for photographing my kids. I would definitely use the IS much more than I used it 2.8 aperture. I also plan on getting the 6D sometime in the near future so the loss of one stop of light really won't hurt me much comparing it to the noise level on the 7D.
    I bought mine refurbished on Canon's website. You can use code PUMPKIN2014 (only good for today) right now and get it shipped for 780.

Assuming you get what 24-70s are typically going for on EBAY 800-950. Then you should come out ok maybe even on top.

I parted with an older EF 28-70mm f/2.8 L USM and picked up an EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS USM soon after. For my needs, it works really well.

Why?

1) I have several wide aperture primes if I need to shoot in low light – Sigma 35/50mm Art, Canon 85mm f/1.2 L II – so the f/4 maximum aperture isn't terribly limiting
    2) The focal length range makes the 24-105mm lens an excellent choice when photographing posed shots at a wedding (bridal party formals, etc)
    3) Its focal length range also makes it a good studio lens, especially when you're set up in relatively space-limited areas. You can set up a tripod and choose dramatically different framing between 24mm and 105mm without having to move the camera.

I really think the 24-105 f/4 IS L is an under appreciated and under valued lens. Maybe not in this thread, but overall.

That said, I am likely going the other direction. I bought the 24-105 as part of the kit with my 5DIII. It has been a good lens for 2 years but I picked up the 24-70 II in June and think it is the way I'll go. Three primary differences:
    • f/2.8 aperture. While not posted here, I actually shoot a lot of family indoors. I decided the extra aperture was beneficial both for lower light and thin DoF. I will say, I have been burned using the f/2.8 a few times due to the small DoF. To an extent, for random shots around the house, it seems that it is tough to beat f/4-8 and a flash.
    • Extra sharpness and contrast
    • Faster AF in low light/utilizing the f/2.8 AF points on the 5DIII.

The 24-105 f/4 L is a very good lens, so I can understand those selecting it as their primary general purpose zoom. I still sometimes waver as the 24-105 was really very good. The IS was ok (2-3 stops), not as good as the IS on my old 15-85 (solid 4 stops). I am actually tempted by the new 16-35 f/4 for IS.

I am wondering, do you really find the 24-105 that that much more discrete on a 5DIII than your 24-70? Very good lens, no doubt, but comparing 24-70 I vs 24-105, the 24-70I is 0.1" wider and 0.6" longer. The 24-70II is 0.2" longer and 0.2" wider.

I understand what you mean, but if you want to be discrete, I'd be tempted to go with your 50D or maybe another crop camera. I noticed a big difference in how I am perceived as soon as I went to a 5DIII. With my 7D, I think I must have blended in with other photographers with Rebels and xxD camera bodies. But people do notice the 5DIII, with L-bracket, and either the 24-70II or 24-105 mounted on it. I get a lot more random questions about photography now than I used too.

Quote Originally Posted by Kayaker72 View Post
    I really think the 24-105 f/4 IS L is an under appreciated and under valued lens. Maybe not in this thread, but overall.

I am wondering, do you really find the 24-105 that that much more discrete on a 5DIII than your 24-70? Very good lens, no doubt, but comparing 24-70 I vs 24-105, the 24-70I is 0.1" wider and 0.6" longer. The 24-70II is 0.2" longer and 0.2" wider.
    I almost invariably use lens hood when I'm shooting, and I agree though the lens is only 1.5 inches shorter with hood on and almost the same when extended. The hood shape of the 24-70 just seems to make it so noticeable (despite being quite functional.

Thanks. Just looked at the numbers and the hood mounted on the 24-70 I and it also explains why my perception is different. I also use the hood, but the 24-70II and 24-105 are almost exactly the same max/min lengths with hoods mounted. But go back to the 24-70 I and there is a 1.5" difference at the "min." Looking at the pictures, that is absolutely noticeable.

From a different direction - I started with the 24-105, later bought the 24-70 v2. Still have and use the 24-105 as a single lens option for the IS and the longer zoom range. Have also been starting to use it more often in portrait sessions again as it is more kindly to skin textures, which means less effort to process, and any time I want a wider aperture I go to a prime anyways as 2.8 isn't as much of a jump as I am usually going for in that instance.
    Definitely use the 24-70 for landscapes and product shots so no regrets there.
    I guess it all comes back to deciding which is the better tool for what you want to do.