Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 7D II Reviews and Comments from those who now own it

Quote Originally Posted by HDNitehawk View Post
    I couldn't figure out how to do a 10x Zoom in live view. I read up on the 5D III and 1D x and couldn't find similar settings. I even downloaded the book and read it in the blind. If any one knows let me know.
    Look at the play menu, third tab. There's a setting called "Magnification (apx)" setting. Set it to "10x."

Right now I have the camera set up to play the last image at 10x when pressing the Set button. So I usually bring up the last image with the Play button (1x) then use the Set button to magnify to 10x.

Still comparing the 1D IV to the 7D II.

I did a cave man AF precision test tonight comparing the 7D II to the 1D IV.
    Single point single shot AF using the old Lens Align as a target.
    Used the 70-200mm F/2.8L II as the lens.
    My results were so close together I would say this test was a tie.

I can tell even on this lens that the 7D II is slower than the 1D IV.

I haven't had enough chances with the AI Servo to make a final decision. So far my experiences with the 7D II and AI Servo have not been good.

dont know if you guys saw this yet but lightroom 5.7 is out with support for the 7DII
    http://www.adobe.com/support/downloa...jsp?ftpID=5853
    Stuart Edwards
    1DX Mark II , 6D , Samyang 14mm f2.8 ,Sigma 85mm f1.4A , 24-105mm f/4L IS , 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II ,100-400 f5.6L II , 300mm f/2.8L II , EF 1.4x III , EF 2x III, 430EX II

Quote Originally Posted by sedwards View Post
    dont know if you guys saw this yet but lightroom 5.7 is out with support for the 7DII
    http://www.adobe.com/support/downloa...jsp?ftpID=5853
    Excellent, every night I have been checking for the update.

Does anyone know if I can still use Lightroom 4 with my Canon 7D Mark II camera raw pictures. I see that an update is available but do I have to have Lightroom 5 to get the lightroom 5.7 update or can I update from lightroom 4?

Looking for the cheapest and easiest way. I hate to have to disregard my lightroom 4 and buy an entire new lightroom 5 software...

any comments are appreciated

7D II Reviews and Comments from those who now own it

There is a work around just like was stated earlier in the thread, use DPP and convert to TIFF and upload from there. If I were you, I would spend the $79 for the upgrade and not worry about it anymore. It's not that much and you just spent $1800 on a camera. I waited for a long time to upgrade my software when I purchased the EOS M. It wasn't supported in what I was using either. It isn't worth the extra hassle. Just get it and move on, that is my advise.
    Last edited by Jayson; 11-19-2014 at 10:30 PM.

... Or get Photoshop CC +Lightroom for $9.99/mo. I've been waiting for the 7D2 support before ordering. I had been using Elements before. I didn't like being limited to just LR, but the CC option makes real Photoshop affordable.
    On Flickr - Namethatnobodyelsetook on Flickr
    R8 | R7 | 7DII | 10-18mm STM | 24-70mm f/4L | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 | 50mm f/1.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 70-300mm f/4-5.6L | RF 100-500mm f/4-5-7.1L

Now that I have LR updated I just finished playing with some ISO 3200 evening pics I took to compare the 7D II to the 1D IV.

What I am seeing is that the RAW 7D II has quit a bit of head room, but after working the picture over it is coming out very close to the JPG's right out of the camera.

I can improve the noise but not much at all over the JPG, if you push it much above JPG's it is to destructive to sharpness.
    The 1D IV is a bit better with noise but not by enough of a margin to be a factor in choosing one body over the other.

My opinion of the 7D II right now is that it is the best Digital Novice camera that Canon has made to date.

I am seeing things that are making me think the x1.6 resolution crop theory is a real thing. More playing required.

Haven't tried LR yet, but I can confirm that PS can now open 7D2 .CR2 files... and that it still gets rid of chroma noise much better than DPP/camera jpgs.
    On Flickr - Namethatnobodyelsetook on Flickr
    R8 | R7 | 7DII | 10-18mm STM | 24-70mm f/4L | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 | 50mm f/1.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 70-300mm f/4-5.6L | RF 100-500mm f/4-5-7.1L

It appears to me that much of the 7d II's hyped IQ improvements are from the in camera JPG processing.
    I shot RAW + JPG, now going back and PP a few and comparing I am not gaining a significant amount of improvement over in camera jpg.
    Noise can be improved a small amount, that's about it.

That is just comparing to the jpg vs a PP raw, the RAW file itself is bland and noisy and can take quite a bit of adjustment to get to that point.