Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: 7D II Reviews and Comments from those who now own it

Quote Originally Posted by jrw View Post
    A question for you folks. When you move the camera and lens further away how much of the difference in detail seen is a result of the lens not being able to resolve the now apparently smaller details to a level that the finer pitch sensor can actually utilize?
    A follow up question would be if you folks know of any sites that have line pair resolution data for a variety of lenses that isn't tied to use on specific camera bodies? Interested in determining if 7D2 might be useful to me at times but not entirely sure that even my best primes will deliver enough resolution.
    I am not aware of a site that does what you are looking for. As Joel mentions, lensrentals has apparatus to evaluate lenses that are not attached to camera bodies. But they only provide data here or there. Lenscore evaluates lenses on a custom made 200 MP body. But neither present their data as LP/mm. Lenstip does, and often evaluate resolution on a FF and crop sensor bodies. So that might be close.

But, honestly, I think good ol' TDP may be best for assessing what the 7DII can do with different lenses. I try to check the news daily, and Bryan seems to be slowly working his way through different lenses with the 7DII. Some examples:

But, my quick take away, as Rick showed, you get ~1.2x more resolution. But there is an efficiency loss with the higher pixel densities.

Edit...and now the TS-E 24 mm
    Last edited by Kayaker72; 02-04-2015 at 05:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jrw View Post
    A question for you folks. When you move the camera and lens further away how much of the difference in detail seen is a result of the lens not being able to resolve the now apparently smaller details to a level that the finer pitch sensor can actually utilize?
    A follow up question would be if you folks know of any sites that have line pair resolution data for a variety of lenses that isn't tied to use on specific camera bodies? Interested in determining if 7D2 might be useful to me at times but not entirely sure that even my best primes will deliver enough resolution.
    I have been looking for a site that tested a naked lens in the hopes of finding one to compare how much the sensor actually looses.
    I haven't found one yet that gave the data. If you find one similar please share.

This link and thread was about my attempt to answer the distance question. http://community.the-digital-picture...ead.php?t=7904
    I was using the 500mm which is about as good as it gets.
    I bet if you do a similar test with a lower resolution lens your results might be less.

That might be a good way to test the benefit of the (rumored) 50+ mp of the 5Ds that is coming.
    Test the lenses one uses on a 5D II body vs the 7D II and you might have a good indication if your lenses would warrant an upgrade to 50mp.