Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 7D II Reviews and Comments from those who now own it

7D II Reviews and Comments from those who now own it

I thought I would start a thread for those who have bought a 7D II to comment about there impressions of the camera.

Mine came today but work came first, I didn't get out till right at Dusk.

My first impression is that it is a very quite camera, but then I compared it to the 1D IV when I got home and they seem close to the same. My impressions of the 1D IV was that it is noisy, but my memory of shutter noise comes from sitting in a deer blind. Noise is magnified.

I mounted the 70-200mm II on and headed over to the local Zoo's lake. Pulling out the driveway there was a small deer herd in the field. They were to far away, it was overcast and sunset was close, there was not enough separation from the trees. Not a good setting for a pic but I have taken so many of these type of bad shots I am an expert at taking bad shots.

It came out better than I expected, on par with what I thought I would see out of the 1D IV.

This is unprocessed out of the camera at f3.2 / 1/320 ISO 2500.

CQ2A0640 by hdnitehawk01, on Flickr

EDIT: Here is another with a little DPP PP
    PP Deer by hdnitehawk01, on Flickr
    Last edited by HDNitehawk; 11-05-2014 at 02:26 AM.

In the previous shot the deer ran off. I was in AI Servo and the tracking was so so, but not the best of conditions.

A few minutes later at the Zoo, sun already set. Direct out of the camera JPG F2.8, 1/80, ISO 1600

CQ2A0658 by hdnitehawk01, on Flickr

If any one is interested in seeing it, I will be doing a side by side vs the 1D IV. Of course it will be a stick and stone hands on comparison done red-neck style. But it will tell me how the two compare.

Any one else with a 7D II lets see some comments.

My Test #1 & Test #2 completed;

#1 Speed test on the 500mm on a static object. Single Point Single Shot. Rack the 500mm one way for a series then the other. The 1D IV averaged .8 seconds to AF confirmation. The 7D II averaged 1.2 seconds to AF confirmation. The 1D IV wins this test. The old 7D performed about the same. Perhaps the dual battery pack will help this but this is definitely a negative for certain wildlife and action.
    #2 Noise, on the 500mm the 7D II is just a little bit quitter than the 1D IV. This would be a positive in a blind. (Shutter Noise) 7D II with a slight edge.

(Edit; maybe I should have said the 7D II's noise is better than any FF I have and the 1D IV. I am sure that would have gotten notice.)
    Last edited by HDNitehawk; 11-05-2014 at 02:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by HDNitehawk View Post
    Edit; maybe I should have said the 7D II's noise is better than any FF I have and the 1D IV. I am sure that would have gotten notice.
    Have you used the 1D X in a blind? Bring earplugs...

I have yet to use the camera in good light (ISO 800 is the lowest I've shot, and usually well above that). I get home at or after dusk too, and was busy on the weekend. While I've mentioned the lower high-ISO noise levels here, and a bit more on Flickr, I'm really waiting on Adobe before I draw any final conclusions.

The 7D2 has a quiet shutter mode. I haven't tried it yet (not even sure how you enable it!). It lowers your burst rate, but perhaps if you don't scare the animals away you don't NEED quite as high a burst rate.
    On Flickr - Namethatnobodyelsetook on Flickr
    R8 | R7 | 7DII | 10-18mm STM | 24-70mm f/4L | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 | 50mm f/1.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 70-300mm f/4-5.6L | RF 100-500mm f/4-5-7.1L

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist View Post
    I concur, even in "S" mode. S I think means "some shhhh", but by no means does it mean "silent" like the 5D3.
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist View Post
    That was one of the reasons I never traded from the 1D IV to the 1D X.
    Although it is a very small reason.

It is a bit aggravating that the "flagship" camera (1DX) lacks some of the features of the 5DIII.....including silent mode and in camera HDR.

I mean, really????

Do I HAVE TO buy both bodies?

C'mon....one $7000 body should have it all...I'm just sayin'

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Eade View Post
    It is a bit aggravating that the "flagship" camera (1DX) lacks some of the features of the 5DIII.....including silent mode and in camera HDR.

I mean, really????

Do I HAVE TO buy both bodies?

C'mon....one $7000 body should have it all...I'm just sayin'
    That is the idea.
    You need the 1D X for low light work.
    The 5D III for landscapes.
    The 7D II for its weight and the extra "reach"
    And a t5i in case your friends ever want to borrow a camera.

Quote Originally Posted by HDNitehawk View Post
    You need the 1D X for low light work.
    The 5D III for landscapes.
    The 7D II for its weight and the extra "reach"
    And a t5i in case your friends ever want to borrow a camera.
    And the SL1 and EOS-M for when you want to travel light.
    On Flickr - Namethatnobodyelsetook on Flickr
    R8 | R7 | 7DII | 10-18mm STM | 24-70mm f/4L | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 | 50mm f/1.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 70-300mm f/4-5.6L | RF 100-500mm f/4-5-7.1L