Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: While you are shooting...

While you are shooting...

while you are shooting what isnpires you ? what kinds of music do you listen to while shooting? what do you like to shoot and why? this is open talk and inspiring to others as well.

Re: While you are shooting...

My kids inspire me to take pictures. All I have to do to get good pictures is take my kids outside and have my 70-200 f/4 on my Digital Rebel. They usually take care of the rest.

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.23.25/CRW_5F00_0036.jpg[/img]

wow thats nice i like the photo i suggest that in black and white though ..

Hmm what inspires me.....when on a gig its getting atleast 2 shots of every racer in each event lest my boss chew me out. Music is generally whatever the announcer/DJ is playing.

When shooting for myself, the music is nature and I'm like a 5 year old, anything that catches my eye will get a shot.

That is a really great shot TSEvanson!

Two questions for you:

1. How is it to shoot with the 70-200 without IS? (especially at 200mm of course)

2. Which lens is mounted on your camera most of the time? Is it the 70-200 f/4 L?

Oren,

When it gets dark outside, I wish I had IS. Other than that, I can usually keep the shutter speed up high enough. My kids are constantly on the go, so I need a high shutter speed to freeze the action anyway.

When I'm outside, the 70-200 f/4 is my lens 90% of the time. I only switch to the kit lens if I want to shoot a wide-angle landscape scene. When I'm indoors, I use my 50 f/1.8 if I don't want a flash, and my kit lens (18-55) if I need wide angle.

TSEvanson,

It sounds like we have nearly identical setups, 18-55 kit, 50 f/1.8, and 70-200 f/4. I got the 70-200 to go on my 30D as a poor man's sports shooting setup. I mainly shoot my daughter and her soccer team.

Oren,

I found Brian's reviews to be spot on. I some times wish I had the 2.8 version on heavily overcast days, or games that are near sunrise/sunset. At these times I have to push the ISO up to get the shutter speed needed. However, I did shot a bunch of wrestling from the cheap seats at the NCAA Div.1 national championships. If I remember I was at ISO 800, and about 1/250th on the shutter. Handholding, if you are careful about it, is still possible. I got a lot of clear and reasonably sharp shots this way. In my situation, the extra cost was the problem more than the shooting.

to answer the question for him its really not hard at all.... just a faster shutterspeed than like 60/sec

Oren, don't take this the wrong way, but I got a pretty good chuckle w/your question about shooting at 200mm w/out IS.

It's really not that difficult....my old 35mm film camera had 70-200 on it 95% of the time and the other 5% w/a 2x extender....now you want to talk dark in the view finder?

Since moving into a dslr, I've become addicted to IS....like w/my other bad habits (a.k.a. hobbies), I wonder how I ever got by w/out index shifting in cycling, shape skiis (power steering), and golf clubs w/sweet spots the size of quarters instead of dimes.

Isn't technology great?

mpphoto...do you really listen to music while shooting? What kind of shooting do you do and what kind of music?

I love my music, but I shoot wildlife and landscapes...just the thought of getting out to search and listen for subjects or watching a sunrise/sunset inspires me. And at family gatherings....it's the layers of chaos and trying to capture it.

It all depends - And the images will not come when I'm not inspired. I have learned this over time, and sometimes, even though the scene/subject is very nice, I don't have my inspiration pushing me to take a picture of it.

When I shoot nature, the atmosphere really makes me feel good. Sunshine, the wind, birds singing... These all add to the joy of photography.

In the evenings, when I shoot sunsets, I really love the peace and quiet. The birds are also there, and it helps me concentrate on the technical details, and helps me think about what I'm capturing.

In sports, I find the noise, excitement, and adrenaline really add to the shooting experience.

So as you see, I usually need my inspiration when I shoot. I just simply won't get the images I'm (and others are) after.