Thread: Some silhouettes experiments - need help

Some silhouettes experiments - need help

Hi everyone, those are my first experiments on "silhouettes" style (which i really like). My premises where: "Hey Andrea, go try those shots just when the sunset was exceptional".

For that sky i took 1 hr permise at work to arrive where i wanted with my motocycle (protagonist with his viewmirror in one of the shots)!

So... those are the shots, they are a bit post-processed to enhance the "Black\COLOR" effect, and to exalt the moment but they are not so heavy retouched, just a bit fixed to complaint my vision.

Neeeeed criticism\comment

Thank you
    Andrea

"Sunset cloud"

"Vineyards line"

"Sunset from view mirror"
    Last edited by jamsus; 11-08-2014 at 09:59 AM.
    Dogs and cats, living together! Mass hysteria!

Jamsus

Nice sky in #1 and #2. Sorry, have not shot many silhouettes so I can't help much...

Dave

I do like where the third one is going. I can clearly identify a few objects that are silhouetted against the bright sky. Catching it in a mirror just improves it. Could try cropping it tighter or maybe just using a partial view of the mirror to get a more detailed look at the tall tree and keep people guessing a little bit about it being in a mirror? Just some random thoughts that came to mind when looking at it for a while. It just seems that the image has a lot of black area.

If the subject of the first image was intended to be the cloud in the sky then perhaps a longer focal length, or cropping, would isolate it better? I am not seeing a shape in the hill that is strong enough to hold my interest for very long. Yes there is a suggestion of a woman's hip and arm along her side but the jagged edge of the trees works against it.

Hope that at least something in this rambling might be of help to you.

Most strong silhouettes have a very strong, singular element - like single tree to focus on in the skyline or a single person. I think those are most effective. You might try to find a subject that looks good alone, and is distinguishable, against a relatively uncluttered backdrop.

Thank you everyone for suggestions, really helpful.

Next time i will try to apply the tips!

@jrw - I will try to work a bit on it
    @jrw - Yes, the subject was the cloud alone and i worked more on the simmetry instead of shapes - i'll search for the original RAW to try something as you suggested
    @Sean - Okay, i will try to get it
    Dogs and cats, living together! Mass hysteria!

Jamsus