Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Problem with images out of 5D mkIII: half the image distorted colors

Problem with images out of 5D mkIII: half the image distorted colors

I've had my 5D MKIII for a couple years now and never really had a problem. Shot a concert tonight, and when I checked out the photos, a handful looked like this:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DBT_night2_messedup.JPG 
Views:	111 
Size:	139.7 KB 
ID:	2314
    Not sure why this is happening. When I look at the file icon in Finder on the Mac, it shows up OK:

Name:	DBT_night2_messedup2.JPG 
Views:	86 
Size:	172.1 KB 
ID:	2315
    Some of the photos only have the color problem on half the image, with the other half looking normal. Anyone know what could be causing this? I was using a 24-70 II lens, shot at 1/320 at ISO 3200. Never happened before.

First thought is the card. If you record to both CF and SD, are they like this on both? Else, try a different card.

Quote Originally Posted by gbc View Post
    ..........when I checked out the photos..............Not sure why this is happening. When I look at the file icon in Finder on the Mac, it shows up OK:
    By "checked out the photos" I assume that you mean you went into some software and tried to develop/export them? Are you shooting RAW or JPG? Are you shooting with one card or two? If two, are you seeing the issue on both cards?

I am no expert here, nor do I use a Mac, but exactly where you are seeing this matters and I assume the "file icon in Finder" is similar to the different thumbnails I see on a PC. If this is the case, that is from a separate file. Canon creates a small jpg file with every RAW/Large JPG file. My guess is that smaller JPG, used for rapid viewing, is what you are seeing as fine in the "Finder." But it is your larger RAW/JPG file that is corrupted.

This at least tells you that the issue is downstream of where the image comes off the sensor.

I would follow these steps:
    • My first step would be similar to Neuro's suggestion. You may have a bad card.
    • Check to see if the issue exists on your backup card (assuming you used one). If this issue was observed with both cards, I would be calling Canon as I doubt 2 cards failed at once. But it is possible.
    • Check the contacts for the cards (bent pin for a CF card?).
    • I might look at the contacts for the battery.

These last two are a bit of long shots, but sometimes long shots pay off. I have heard of lenses not working well and the issue being with the contact point and the solution being as simple as cleaning those points with a little alcohol.

While I have never had this issue myself, I have to think if it is not an issue with the battery, memory cards themselves, or the contacts with the memory cards, this is going into Canon as somehow something is happening internally to your camera.
    Last edited by Kayaker72; 11-22-2014 at 10:43 AM.

I had a similar problem last week with the 5D II. The banding was horizontal not vertical.

Mine was caused by pocket wizards. Took me about 20 minutes to figure it out but I finally got it to work.
    i have my LCD pic review shut off, but it does pay to look at results occasionally.

I've seen something similar before....my problem was the contacts on the card reader. Used a different reader and all was good. I expect it could also be contacts on the card itself or less likely in the camera. So try a different card reader and different cards first.

Stephen

Quote Originally Posted by Kayaker72 View Post
    By "checked out the photos" I assume that you mean you went into some software and tried to develop/export them? Are you shooting RAW or JPG? Are you shooting with one card or two? If two, are you seeing the issue on both cards?

I am no expert here, nor do I use a Mac, but exactly where you are seeing this matters and I assume the "file icon in Finder" is similar to the different thumbnails I see on a PC. If this is the case, that is from a separate file. Canon creates a small jpg file with every RAW/Large JPG file. My guess is that smaller JPG, used for rapid viewing, is what you are seeing as fine in the "Finder." But it is your larger RAW/JPG file that is corrupted.

This at least tells you that the issue is downstream of where the image comes off the sensor.

I would follow these steps:
    • My first step would be similar to Neuro's suggestion. You may have a bad card.
    • Check to see if the issue exists on your backup card (assuming you used one). If this issue was observed with both cards, I would be calling Canon as I doubt 2 cards failed at once. But it is possible.
    • Check the contacts for the cards (bent pin for a CF card?).
    • I might look at the contacts for the battery.

These last two are a bit of long shots, but sometimes long shots pay off. I have heard of lenses not working well and the issue being with the contact point and the solution being as simple as cleaning those points with a little alcohol.

While I have never had this issue myself, I have to think if it is not an issue with the battery, memory cards themselves, or the contacts with the memory cards, this is going into Canon as somehow something is happening internally to your camera.
    I'm shooting RAW, and only to the CF card (I have the SD card set up if I run out of space on the CF). I've used this card at at least 50 concerts with no problems.

On your last two suggestions- My card reader did have a bent pin a while back but I was able to fix it. I and I WAS using a non-Canon battery last night, so maybe these are both issues to check out.

So seeing as the preview file looks OK, can I assume the problem is in the card/reader/battery and not something internal in the camera?

Try shooting with a different card and transfer the images to your computer using the USB cable. That should let you know if there's an issue with the camera of if the problem is specific to the other card and/or card reader.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Setters View Post
    Try shooting with a different card and transfer the images to your computer using the USB cable. That should let you know if there's an issue with the camera of if the problem is specific to the other card and/or card reader.

Shot another 900 or so shots tonight, with a new Lexar CF card that I used two nights ago with no problems. Downloaded the files straight from the camera via USB. Tonight, about 15 shots had the same discoloration problem. Starting to worry the problem is in the camera and not the card and/or reader. Any ideas what could be causing it? Not even sure how to describe the problem to a Canon repair center without showing them a picture.

Name:	DBT_night3_messedup.JPG 
Views:	77 
Size:	109.1 KB 
ID:	2316

Quote Originally Posted by gbc View Post
    Shot another 900 or so shots tonight, with a new Lexar CF card that I used two nights ago with no problems. Downloaded the files straight from the camera via USB. Tonight, about 15 shots had the same discoloration problem. Starting to worry the problem is in the camera and not the card and/or reader. Any ideas what could be causing it? Not even sure how to describe the problem to a Canon repair center without showing them a picture.

Name:	DBT_night3_messedup.JPG 
Views:	77 
Size:	109.1 KB 
ID:	2316
    Have you tried downloading the problem images a second time? If it is the reader, the issue is likely random and unlikely to impact the same image twice. Did you shot simultaneously to both the SD and CF cards? That would help tell you if it is the CF card pin or something like that.

Overall, I think you are explaining it fine and I would call Canon. Your images are being split in half with a vertical line. On the left half, the image is fine, but on the right half there is some sort of data storage issue. The thumbnail jpgs are fine, indicating that the camera is taking the image correctly, but either not storing or transferring the images correctly. This is occurring 1-2% of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Kayaker72 View Post
    Have you tried downloading the problem images a second time? If it is the reader, the issue is likely random and unlikely to impact the same image twice. Did you shot simultaneously to both the SD and CF cards? That would help tell you if it is the CF card pin or something like that.

Overall, I think you are explaining it fine and I would call Canon. Your images are being split in half with a vertical line. On the left half, the image is fine, but on the right half there is some sort of data storage issue. The thumbnail jpgs are fine, indicating that the camera is taking the image correctly, but either not storing or transferring the images correctly. This is occurring 1-2% of the time.
    Yeah, I've tried downloading the images multiple times, through Image Capture, iPhoto, and by dragging the file from the card folder onto my desktop. Same files each time. Next time out I'll shoot to both SD and CF simultaneously. I guess the problem is recreating it if it's happening 15 times out of 900.