Thread: Note to self - those aha moments...

Note to self - those aha moments...

Note to self:
    When photography long exposure night shots next to bodies of water, make sure air temp is above dew point and water temp is below air temp. Especially if you are doing a time lapse of long exposures hoping to catch a meteor..... The lens would fog almost immediately as the air temp was well below dew point, the body of water temp was still in the 60's, air in the 40's. the local humidity was climbing to 100% as the temp dropped. Needed a rag to wipe off the moisture on the camera.

Oh my the best laid plan of catching meteors streaking across the sky reflecting in the glass smooth mosquito lagoon (near the Kennedy Space Center) only to be reasonably quickly fogged in.

2nd notice to self. Could have heated up the camera's etc in the car, and it might have held off the fogging...

Any other humorous "AHA moments".
    If you see me with a wrench, call 911

Solution to your problem: put a pair of handwarmers (the disposable air-activated ones) around the lens barrel, and secure them in place with a rubber band.

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist View Post
    Solution to your problem: put a pair of handwarmers (the disposable air-activated ones) around the lens barrel, and secure them in place with a rubber band.
    =@@= bro fist
    Dogs and cats, living together! Mass hysteria!

Jamsus

I thought about the hand warmer (didn't have any with me) I assume you have used and it worked. I set will be going into the bag

hope others got shots of the Meteors.
    If you see me with a wrench, call 911

Last week I was shooting with the 6D and couldn't figure out why I could not change the aperture setting on my Tokina 16-28. Every time I tried to spin the wheel, the aperture setting would read L and then go back to what it was. I could change it using the Q button and setting it there on the back of the camera, but not using the control wheel. Then I switched to my 24-105 and had the same problem. It finally dawned on me that I had inadvertently set the Lock switch on the back of the camera. I'd never done that before and had no idea what effect it had when trying to change the aperture.

Now I know. Aha!
    Mark - Flickr

While away on holidays last week I found everything looking very blurry through the viewfinder one morning. Thought that something must have happened to the lens. Changed it out for another. Same result. Put up with it all day long dreading the thought of there being something horribly wrong with my gear. It is to my chagrin that it wasn't until the next day I pulled it out of the bag and in the process touched the adjustment wheel that allows adjusting the diopter setting. Enough said?

Quote Originally Posted by jrw View Post
    It is to my chagrin that it wasn't until the next day I pulled it out of the bag and in the process touched the adjustment wheel that allows adjusting the diopter setting. Enough said?
    Been there, done that. ;-)