Thread: Canon Confirms Development of High Megapixel Camera

Canon Confirms Development of High Megapixel Camera

Now considering the Canon Executives have a reputation for using lots of words to say absolutely nothings (an art form I feel they have perfected), this must be real.

Would anybody like to speculate as to what Canon means by these comments?

In an interview with Digital Camera Watch, Canon Inc. Senior Managing Director Image Communication Business Division Maeda Masaya confirms the development of a high megapixel camera. A camera we confirmed would be coming in 2015, although we don’t know exactly when it will arrive.

From Maeda Masaya
    “We are currently making efforts toward high-resolution cameras. User needs are broadly divided into the two areas of high-resolution and high-sensitivity. Canon has been progressing the high-sensitivity side more, but we feel that we also must respond to graphics-related users (hoping for high resolution) and increase resolution numbers."

"We are thinking of a high-resolution camera for users wanting high resolving power, and it will be out soon. It will be a camera preserving pixel quality while boosting resolution figures. We are extending interchangeable lens groups (unsure what this actually means). We want to add one line to our EF lenses…I can’t say any more than this. Please don’t ask anymore (laughs).”

◾The days of the annual product cycle are over, new models will come with big advancements in technology
    ◾A “new line” of EF lenses is on the way.
    ◾Canon believes lenses are the most important part of EOS
    ◾We will see electronic shutters soon.
    ◾There’s “no comment” on a full frame mirrorless (probably a good thing) and Canon is still interested in medium format.

http://www.canonrumors.com/2014/12/c...apixel-camera/
    Canon EOS 7D, EF-S 10-22, EF 24-105L, EF 50 f1.2L, EF 70-300L, 430EX.

"Criticism is something you can easily avoid, by saying nothing, doing nothing and being nothing." -
    Tara Moss

Canon has indicated several times that they are working on a high resolution camera.

Here was a translation someone made in the DP Reviews forum:

- The decline in DSLR sales is coming mainly from the entry level, as the evolution in that segment has slowed. He admits that they have not been able to introduce new entry class products that would spur people to change models (the original statement can be seen as an indictment of either Canon, or the entire DSLR industry). However, he does note that developing countries like Brazil and India are still seeing double digit growths.
    - He speculates that maybe part of the mirrorless needs can be met by high end compact cameras, as the latter type gets more and more zoom range. Canon is trying both options.
    - On the other hand, he also speculates that mirrorless may replace the Rebel line in the future.
    - Annual updates of entry class models are no longer likely. (Canon never did annual updates of mid- and high-end models anyway.)
    - He sees electronic shutter as the future, saying “global shutter makes more sense.”
    - Canon will apparently stick with “glass” based IS for the time being, and believes it still has room for improvement. (Curiously, the other alternative the interviewer suggested was electronic IS, and neither side seems to talk about IBIS.)
    - Durability against e.g. shock and drop, in addition to “uncompromising optics,” is a focus point in developing new EF lenses these days.
    - Full size mirrorless? “Uh, I can’t answer that now.”
    - Medium format? “The 35mm format has so much potential left. Although I don’t deny the merits of a larger sensor, there are many other things we need to be doing right now.”

I am really interested in something with extreme resolution. I have considered the Pentax 645Z but cannot use Canon glass....even if you found an adapter the image circle is too small. I kinda doubt they will go medium format because the current lenses will be very difficult to adapt. I do hope they come up with something to surpass the Nikon D800.....that would be fun!

There is an interesting convergence of diffraction limits and photosite/pixel size. The uncompromising optics has to be larger f-stops to avoid running into diffraction limits. OR some other discovery that my brain can't imagine (then again image sensors are already way beyond my knowledge of engineering and chemistry).

I have been trying to think of going in the opposite direction i.e. MFT so as to have just a physically small set of stuff. Having said this, if the resolution is something really chart busting (like a 2 7dII sensors "side by side") that would be pretty rocking. I would likely immediately sell the 150-600 as it simply wouldn't have the resolution beyond 400 to support the smaller pixel size. So maybe the higher res gives the greater flexibility.

The other item referenced was the global shutter - now that would be really cool for both vids and high shutter speed stills -synch speed equal to flash duration, hmmmmm
    Last edited by Busted Knuckles; 12-27-2014 at 12:10 AM.
    If you see me with a wrench, call 911

I'll throw this out to see what people smarter than I think, but would diffraction calculations change if the Bayer filter was removed? My thinking is that by moving the "slit" back to the actual sensor, the calcs may change. That would be combining the recent rumors about a Bayer filter less sensor from canon.

EDIT--ok...back at home with enough time to check this out. Diffraction is all about the aperture. I had always wondered if it was at least influenced by the Bayer filter. Looks like that is very limited to the green channel being influenced by diffraction first due to interpolating twice the pixels.
    Last edited by Kayaker72; 12-28-2014 at 10:54 AM.