Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need quick Canon 70d advice

Need quick Canon 70d advice

Hello... I need quick help from the community... I just sold my Canon T2i, with the thought of getting the 70d. I am apprehensive about that camera because I'm not sure I'll get better photos... with it only has 19 focus points. Am I making an error in judgment based on that thinking, or is it in fact a good camera? Is it an decent upgrade from the T2i?

Assuming I do buy it, (the 70d) I am wondering what to do about a lens? After selling my T2i the lenses I still own are the Canon 15-85, the 50mm 1.8, and a 70-300 EF IS. I was wondering which lens should I get with it... or would you get any at all.. but just use what I have? I am not terribly concerned with video. If YOU already had a 70-300 would it make sense to get the 55-250? If YOU already had a 15-85 would you get a 18-135? What to do... What to do? I need to know soon if I'm going to beat a year end price deal. Thanks

The T5i will take fine pictures, the 70d has a newer sensor and a few more features. The 7D II a even a few more.
    I do not have a 70d, but bought the wife a T4i and I have a 7D II. I think any of the three models would be a good upgrade for you.
    It comes down to your budget, experience and what you are expecting of the hobby.
    For instance the wife, and most people for that matter, would be very happy with those lenses and a t5i.
    On the other hand I would want a full frame body, the highest quality lenses and the best AF system available.

So how much you want to spend, and how much does the hobby mean to you?

A while back, I thought through the Canon lineup and tried to categorize the typical shopper for each current model (I took a little license and ignored the "old" models that've been replaced). With a quick modification for the 7D2, here's what I came up with. Obviously, it's just one person's opinion, and others may see it differently, but I think it's a start where you can see where you fit in.

SL1 if small size is most important
    T5i if photography is an interest rather than an end goal
    70D if photography is a hobby
    7D2 if sports photography is a passion
    6D if landscape photography is a passion
    5D3 if photography is a business or you're serious about your passion
    1Dx if rugged build is essential or your hobby wallet is huge
    T5 if none of the above apply
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.

Asking questions on behalf the Silkylead, rather than answering them...

I know back when I had a T1i, it could not capture fast-moving objects with a shallow DOF. Dogs running at the camera had blurry faces and sharp tails. The firmware intentionally made the focus system lag, such that the entry level Rebel couldn't be used for fast sports. Does the 70D have any fast-moving AF servo issues? Does Silkylead care about fast action?

Aside from that the 70D should be good. Perhaps it won't focus in the same light levels as the 7D2, 6D, 5D3, or 1Dx, but otherwise it should be a fairly solid camera. Someone here posted high-ISO shots from their 70D which is what convinced me that moving from the 7D to the 7D2 would be a nice upgrade (assuming the 7D2 had the same or better high-ISO as the 70D, which was a reasonable assumption to make).

Most kits have mediocre lenses, so I wouldn't worry about getting a camera+lens kit. The 18-135 IS STM would only be an option if you wanted an STM lens for video, which you said you don't care about. For stills you're already covered for a wide range of focal lengths. The newer 55-250 STM it might be sharper than the 70-300, but only a little, and it would still be a "slow" lens (f/5.6 at the long end). I would get just the body and put the savings towards a "Nice Lens" instead.

"Nice Lens" of course depends on what you shoot... landscapes, portraits, indoor sport, outdoor sport, wildlife, macro, etc.
    On Flickr - Namethatnobodyelsetook on Flickr
    R8 | R7 | 7DII | 10-18mm STM | 24-70mm f/4L | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 | 50mm f/1.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 70-300mm f/4-5.6L | RF 100-500mm f/4-5-7.1L

Hi Silkylead,

First off, welcome to the forum!

Regarding the lens selection, it would be helpful if you could elaborate on what you like to shoot and where you have found yourself limited. The EFS 15-85 is a great lens. While I do not shoot crop anymore, it is still one of my favorite general purpose lenses as it provides very good IQ over a very wide and useful focal length range. The 50 f/1.8 is a great value. I owned it and really liked the images I got from it at greater than f/2.8. I upgraded to the 50 f/1.4 for faster AF and really liked the images I got off that lens at greater than f/2 (at least center frame). So, there would be a potential upgrade I could recommend, if you view that as a need. I've heard good things about the 70-300 IS. I never owned one. Generally speaking, I would almost call the IQ between the 70-300 IS and the 55-250 STM to be a wash. It seems that which lens has better IQ changes with each focal length. So, if you like your 70-300 IS, I wouldn't change it. If you have issues, you may want to consider an upgrade say to a 70-200 f/4 (1 more stop, slightly better IQ) or 100-400 II (more reach, better IQ), depending upon your budget.

Regarding the camera body, I would expect some improvement in IQ between the T2i and 70D, and slightly better control of noise. But the real changes have been improved specs. Of course, this gets down to if any of these interest you, but what would interest me would be:

• Almost double fps
    • Better battery life
    • 19 cross type AF points
    • Multiple AF point selection modes
    • Ability to AFMA
    • Better viewfinder
    • Less shutter lag
    • Physical size (Rebels do not fit in my hand well)

For me, there are some nice features there that would help me capture images. But that is what I shoot.

But, at least my experience, the biggest jump in IQ is going from P&S to a DSLR. Upgrading to the 70D would not be the same kind of jump in IQ. But, there are still nice benefits. Jumping to FF would be a bit more of an IQ jump. But, to me, still not as big as going from P&S to a crop sensor DSLR.

I upgraded to a 70d from a t4i last year. The biggest improvement i saw was having AFMA . none of my lenses seemed to focus quite right on the t4i. I can also use a higher iso before seeing a lot of grain.
    Stuart Edwards
    1DX Mark II , 6D , Samyang 14mm f2.8 ,Sigma 85mm f1.4A , 24-105mm f/4L IS , 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II ,100-400 f5.6L II , 300mm f/2.8L II , EF 1.4x III , EF 2x III, 430EX II

Here is a link to a post where i tried some high iso shots with my 70d .
    As for focus points i most often use just the center point exept for birds in flight
    .http://community.the-digital-picture...ead.php?t=7847
    Stuart Edwards
    1DX Mark II , 6D , Samyang 14mm f2.8 ,Sigma 85mm f1.4A , 24-105mm f/4L IS , 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II ,100-400 f5.6L II , 300mm f/2.8L II , EF 1.4x III , EF 2x III, 430EX II

The 70D is a really good camera and should be a fairly noticeable upgrade over the T2i.

I'd say the 15-85, 70-300, and 50 f/1.8 is a good combo. You should consider adding a flash such as the 430 EX II if you don't have one.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Throgmartin View Post
    The 70D is a really good camera and should be a fairly noticeable upgrade over the T2i.

I'd say the 15-85, 70-300, and 50 f/1.8 is a good combo. You should consider adding a flash such as the 430 EX II if you don't have one.

Dave
    Yes Dave, I have a 430EX and a 580EX II already. Also, what are YOUR thoughts on the 7D II ? Reviews say it's more "pro" but little IQ differences.

Quote Originally Posted by HDNitehawk View Post
    The T5i will take fine pictures, the 70d has a newer sensor and a few more features. The 7D II a even a few more.
    I do not have a 70d, but bought the wife a T4i and I have a 7D II. I think any of the three models would be a good upgrade for you.
    It comes down to your budget, experience and what you are expecting of the hobby.
    For instance the wife, and most people for that matter, would be very happy with those lenses and a t5i.
    On the other hand I would want a full frame body, the highest quality lenses and the best AF system available.

So how much you want to spend, and how much does the hobby mean to you?
    Hello Sir.... I have about $1200.00 on hand at the moment... and being retired... don't want to make a purchase error.... also wonder about the 7D II ... you mentioned you have one. How do you like it? I've read it's built like a tank.... has more focus points, ... but IQ not much better than the 70d. ???? Also, .. in reality, .. what IS THE SCOOP about focus points??? Does more get better photos? I am often asked to take shots of groups at church... and was hoping more points would do a better job. I usually had HORRIBLE results, .. and a very tough time getting several faces in groups to all be clear. Thanks so much