Thread: My new 70-200 f/2.8L IS II arrived

My new 70-200 f/2.8L IS II arrived

So, my new 70-200 f/2.8L IS II just arrived! I originally thought the new 100-400 would be my next purchase, but as I thought about what I shoot, I changed. With my kids running around and daughter into figure skating, I find myself shooting more in auditoriums and rinks rather than outdoors. As much as I would love up to 400 in theory, I will get a lot more use in the 70-200 range.

With skating, I need shutter speed of 1/320 to 1/500. The f/4 has been good, but find myself towards ISO 6400 a lot and a little more background blur would be good to isolate the skater more. I am looking forward to some test shots this weekend during practice.

Question on the tripod mount. I find it rotates a little rough compared to the f/4 IS. On the f/4, the barrel is smooth, so the fuzzy side of the ring lets it rotate pretty nice. With the f/2.8 it has the 4 little bearings and they clack against the 4 slots in the ring as you rotate. Is that to be expected?

Otherwise, great so far. It will take a little time to get use to the size and weight. It is twice my largest lens to date.

Thanks,
    Eric

Congrats Eric...and given what you describe, great choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Kayaker72 View Post
    Congrats Eric...and given what you describe, great choice.
    Thanks Brant, was able to use it this evening at practice. Look forward to see how they turn out.

Does your tripod ring true similar to what I describe? Trying to figure out what I should expect.

Quote Originally Posted by EricPvpi View Post
    Question on the tripod mount. I find it rotates a little rough compared to the f/4 IS. On the f/4, the barrel is smooth, so the fuzzy side of the ring lets it rotate pretty nice. With the f/2.8 it has the 4 little bearings and they clack against the 4 slots in the ring as you rotate. Is that to be expected?
    Congratulations on getting a great lens.

I got mine in 2014, and the tripod mount does the same thing yours does.

Pat
    5DS R, 1D X, 7D, Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6, 24mm f/1.4L II, 16-35mm f/4L IS, 24-105mm f/4L, 50mm f/1.8, 100mm Macro f/2.8L, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L, 580EX-II
    flickr

Congrats,

the tripod ring is normal
    the lens itself will have a bit of play between the lens and body, this is normal
    it should be sharp wide open
    typically they are a bit softer on the 70mm end
    I had a harder time doing an afma on mine with the crop bodies, on FF it was easier

Enjoy, it is one of Canons great lenses

Quote Originally Posted by EricPvpi View Post
    Same with others, that is what mine does as well.

Enjoy. I don't often thing about which lens is my "favorite." More about what lens to do what I want.....but......

If 70-200 II hasn't become my favorite it is darn close.

Congrats,
    Agree w/ the comments about the tripod collar. If you want to have some fun (OK so I am unusual) put an extension tube on it had walk around in the flowers at the local botanical garden - bugs, bees, flowers lots of fun. Yea, its heavy, and you focus more w/ the zoom than the focus ring, but what a blast - the IQ the lens is capable of is plenty good for an extension tube

It is my favorite lens by a long ways.
    If you see me with a wrench, call 911

Thanks all for the feedback on the tripod ring. I'll just need to get used to it. For skating competitions, I shoot a lot on a monopod and use the ring to rotate orientation. With the f/4 ring it was a lot easier to set the tension where I wanted. With the f/2.8 it is either locked or loose.

Quote Originally Posted by HDNitehawk View Post
    Congrats,
    the lens itself will have a bit of play between the lens and body, this is normal
    I have very little play between the lens and the body. Not enough to notice. I had a lot more on my 60D + 17-55 f/2.8.

Quote Originally Posted by Busted Knuckles View Post
    If you want to have some fun (OK so I am unusual) put an extension tube on it had walk around in the flowers at the local botanical garden - bugs, bees, flowers lots of fun. Yea, its heavy, and you focus more w/ the zoom than the focus ring, but what a blast - the IQ the lens is capable of is plenty good for an extension tube
    I don't have any extension tubes. I do have the 100L IS macro for that type of fun. Do you think the 70-200 + tubes would give me more fun?

So far, happy with the choice. I debated a while on it. I have been really happy with the f/4 and hesitant due to cost and weight increase. The 100-400 would have been great, but I know it would sit a lot. And I find myself in a lot of light-starved kid arenas where a flash isn't appropriate. My son just started some indoor soccer and I now find myself thinking "Hey, I can shoot in here".

I will definitely have to improve my focusing skills. I haven't always been the best and now I will have less margin of error. I will try doing AFMA at some point soon.

Some test shots so far.

Unintended self portrait (if you look real close).
    f/2.8, 1/100s, ISO6400
    2M3A5644.jpg by EricPvpi2, on Flickr

Definately a lot more background blur. Birdfeeder is right outside our dining area, these are shot through the glass door.
    f/2.8, 1/320s, ISO200
    2M3A5658.jpg by EricPvpi2, on Flickr

f/3.2, 1/250s, ISO100
    2M3A5661.jpg by EricPvpi2, on Flickr

Main goal was the skating. Definately getting the drop in ISO I wanted, which will give me more room with shutter speed. I'll need more practice. I typically use zone AF and found it was locking onto background more often. Most likely the user.

f/2.8, 1/320s, ISO1250
    2M3A5693.jpg by EricPvpi2, on Flickr

f/2.8, 1/320s, ISO2000
    2M3A5753.jpg by EricPvpi2, on Flickr

f/3.2, 1/400, ISO1600
    2M3A5773.jpg by EricPvpi2, on Flickr

Now I just need the 5D3 firmware update for exposure compensation in Manual. I typically want +2/3 on exposure with my shutter speed around 1/400s +/- and f/2.8 for 1 skater and going to f/4 - f/5.6 for team skating.

Thanks,
    Eric

[edit] upped exposure a little on skating shots. Still needs work, but that is for another day.
    Last edited by EricPvpi; 01-12-2015 at 12:25 PM.

Hi and congrats on a great lens!

Of course it may be personal preference, but in my opinion all three skating shots are more or less underexposed. Instead of using exposure compensation in a venue like this, my suggestion would be to lock the exposure manually - it shouldn't vary too much across the ice. Judging from the EXIF you provided for these shots I'd suggest f/2.8, 1/400 sec and ISO3200 or even brighter (e.g. 1/500-1/640 sec at ISO6400).

Have fun getting to know your new "best friend"!

Quote Originally Posted by cls View Post
    Hi and congrats on a great lens!

Of course it may be personal preference, but in my opinion all three skating shots are more or less underexposed. Instead of using exposure compensation in a venue like this, my suggestion would be to lock the exposure manually - it shouldn't vary too much across the ice. Judging from the EXIF you provided for these shots I'd suggest f/2.8, 1/400 sec and ISO3200 or even brighter (e.g. 1/500-1/640 sec at ISO6400).

Have fun getting to know your new "best friend"!
    Thanks. I completely agree on the exposure. I thought they looked better in Lightroom before exporting, I'll need to adjust them a little. The rinks vary in lighting, some are consistently lit others are spotty. Depending on the competition, some will use spotlights on the skaters. But mainly, I like exposure compensation since I don't trust myself yet on ISO or being able to change it quickly. I'll vary my speed based on the skater as well. 1/320 for newer, 1/500 for the older girls doing bigger jumps. As I progress, I'll have to start playing with manual settings and see how I do.

Thanks for the feedback.
    Eric