So, my new 70-200 f/2.8L IS II just arrived! I originally thought the new 100-400 would be my next purchase, but as I thought about what I shoot, I changed. With my kids running around and daughter into figure skating, I find myself shooting more in auditoriums and rinks rather than outdoors. As much as I would love up to 400 in theory, I will get a lot more use in the 70-200 range.

With skating, I need shutter speed of 1/320 to 1/500. The f/4 has been good, but find myself towards ISO 6400 a lot and a little more background blur would be good to isolate the skater more. I am looking forward to some test shots this weekend during practice.

Question on the tripod mount. I find it rotates a little rough compared to the f/4 IS. On the f/4, the barrel is smooth, so the fuzzy side of the ring lets it rotate pretty nice. With the f/2.8 it has the 4 little bearings and they clack against the 4 slots in the ring as you rotate. Is that to be expected?

Otherwise, great so far. It will take a little time to get use to the size and weight. It is twice my largest lens to date.

Thanks,
Eric