Thread: 70D magic lantern

70D magic lantern

dont know how many of you would use this but they released it for the 70D yesterday.
    i doubt i can get any use from it but its cool to play with.
    http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/ind...?topic=14309.0
    Stuart Edwards
    1DX Mark II , 6D , Samyang 14mm f2.8 ,Sigma 85mm f1.4A , 24-105mm f/4L IS , 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II ,100-400 f5.6L II , 300mm f/2.8L II , EF 1.4x III , EF 2x III, 430EX II

Interesting....

It doesn't look like its ready for prime time, yet.

Quote Originally Posted by sedwards View Post
    dont know how many of you would use this but they released it for the 70D yesterday.
    i doubt i can get any use from it but its cool to play with.
    http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/ind...?topic=14309.0
    Magic Lantern is actually a really useful little tool - but I'll skip the nightly build for the 70D!

There's a lot more to MagicLantern than just video stuff. There's a lot of goodies that have been added for photography. Like an intervalometer, advanced bracketing features (ISO and shutter), fine ISO control, focus stacking, motion detect, exposure fusion, and one that looks really interesting - dual ISO. This allows you to get increased dynamic range - and the examples are pretty compelling. The features literally go on and on and on. I have yet to play with this feature - but it's on the list!

Part of the problem of using the software is that slogging through the documentation is the hardest part. Since it's like typical open source - somebody figures something out and you've got to hunt it down! I had read about the dual ISO and was all ready to use it - and then I couldn't find the documentation about it! It was buried in the blog somewhere.

I'll be excited for the 70D to get to prime time - but I'll assume it's going to be a while to get past the nightly build. They just now got the 6D as part of the normal download! At least the 70D is still DIGIC 5, who knows when we'll see the DIGIC 6 7D MkII release!
    Last edited by Anthony M; 01-24-2015 at 04:03 AM.