Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 5D III pricing

5D III pricing

Even though some of the prices on the 5DIII are grey market, they seem to be dropping very low.

And, since the Mark III is coming up on 3 yrs old, could both these facts indicate that the Mark IV is just around the corner?

Here's hoping!

What advances are you hoping to see?

There's the rumored high-megapixel camera (which may seem more necessary now that 4K displays and 5K displays are popping up, leaving only a few pixels of cropping space.)

Other than that, I can only think of one big enhancement that Canon has made... on-sensor phase detect AF / movie AF. Combine that with adding support for 4K movies, and perhaps you'll have a killer movie DSLR, but I'm not sure what else to expect from a new 5D that would get photographers excited.
    On Flickr - Namethatnobodyelsetook on Flickr
    R8 | R7 | 7DII | 10-18mm STM | 24-70mm f/4L | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 | 50mm f/1.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 70-300mm f/4-5.6L | RF 100-500mm f/4-5-7.1L

Well, for me, I'd like to see these features:

Lower noise with higher ISO
    Built in GPS
    Faster frames per second, though not a really big deal
    Definitely would like higher megapixel sensor
    Pricing slightly higher than the 7DII (I can dream, can't I? )

After using the 7D II for a few months I think a FF 52mp camera would be an excellent still wildlife camera with its increased resolution.
    BIF and action no.
    Said body would probably only have half the frame rate and twice the file size. I could live with that.

Quote Originally Posted by shutterdown View Post

And, since the Mark III is coming up on 3 yrs old, could both these facts indicate that the Mark IV is just around the corner?

Here's hoping!
    I looked this up the other day, between the previous models it was 3 years and 3.5 years.

Really that probably means nothing.

Pricing for the 70D, 6D and 5D MkIII have been getting about as consistently low as I've ever seen them. Unfortunately, all of these cameras are potentially due to be coming to the end of their product life this year. Potentially the 5D being the first because it's the oldest. But typically also the most long lived. If the 70D is around as long as the 60D, that could push it to 2016. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compari...igital_cameras

I don't think though that we're going to see a 5D replacement until Fall at the earliest, possibly announced at Photokina. What's going to be interesting is where they position each of the current prosumer models moving forward. We've got the DIGIC 6 that needs to get stuck in them along with the rumored high megapixel sensor. Will the 5D be the recipient of the new sensor? Or, do they possibly have a reworked FF dual pixel sensor waiting in the wings? Will the mega-sensor go into a newly designated body (4D?) instead? What's going to happen with the 6D?

It's entirely possible, and even probable that Canon won't bother to answer Nikon's D750. But I have to think that they're going to need to do something with the 6D to make it more competitive. Does that mean the 5D will be the 7D MkII of the FF line now? Or perhaps position the 6D to more of a video slant, like the 70D. I'm still convinced that they had intended to put an articulated screen on the 6D, because of the body design and the skipping of a number for the battery grip.

Typically this is where I jump onto the purchase bandwagon. Bugs have been more than worked out, and prices are about one step away from the fire sale prices they hit once their replacement is on the shelves. I just got the 70D as a refurb, and picked up a 6D a year and a half ago for a bit more than the current prices with rebate. I could care less about being on the cutting edge, and am more than happy to benefit once everybody else is bored. I don't think that it's worth my switching from the 6D to the 5D MkIII even as tempting as the prices are. The IQ isn't any better, and my 6D gets used mostly for interior shooting, or landscapes. As much as I'd like a fancier AF - I honestly don't need it.

I've got to admit though, I was starting to get a little depressed until the 7D MkII came out. At least that shows me that Canon is still listening, and could pull something out of their hat if they need to. There's certainly more questions than answers right now. My take is if you don't have a 5D, get it now. Even if it's announced at Photokina, you still have to give it a couple of months at the least to get to the "pre-order" state. Then get it, and hope there's no new "features" that need to be fixed with yet to be released firmware! I still remember the 7D ghosting, and the 5D black dot problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony M View Post
    I don't think though that we're going to see a 5D replacement until Fall at the earliest, possibly announced at Photokina.
    You may very well be correct on the timing, but that would be Fall 2016, since Photokina occurs every two years and there will not be one this year.

Quote Originally Posted by HDNitehawk View Post
    After using the 7D II for a few months I think a FF 52mp camera would be an excellent still wildlife camera with its increased resolution.
    BIF and action no.
    Said body would probably only have half the frame rate and twice the file size. I could live with that.
    +1 .... I am waiting for something like this.

The high megapixel body isn't exactly a rumor. It's been discussed in various interviews as something Canon is actively working on. Although they haven't given us any more details than that.

So the rest of this is purely conjecture...

I think the next version of the 5D will be the high megapixel body that many people are excited to see. It will likely have a relatively slow frame rate (akin to what it has now, but maybe slower), a Dual Pixel sensor and it will possibly shoot 4K as well.

That leaves the 1D X Mark II to be a lower megapixel body, with a Dual Pixel sensor, shooting 12-14 FPS with all the other advantages we've come to expect from a 1-series body. By "lower megapixel," I think it'll be in the 21-25MP range.

As the 5D takes on the role as the high MP body, that leaves the 6D to fill the role of the current 5D III but at a lower price point. Good AF, reasonable burst rate, but with fewer features overall compared to its big brother.

But who knows?

I think jumping on the current lower-than-ever prices is a great idea. It's really easy to take pictures with a body that's in your gear bag (because it's currently on the market). It's really hard to take those same pictures with a body that's still only a fantasy.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Setters View Post
    I think jumping on the current lower-than-ever prices is a great idea. It's really easy to take pictures with a body that's in your gear bag (because it's currently on the market). It's really hard to take those same pictures with a body that's still only a fantasy.
    This is one of those scientific facts, I believe.

I currently have the 5DMk II, and we all know how old it is. It's been working fine. I use it mostly for landscapes, and occasionally, for portraiture. One never knows when it might break, but if Murphy's law applies, it would break when I'm on a distant vacation, and need it for landscape photography.

Maybe the 6D is all I need as a back up. It's got the built in GPS, extended bracketing (which I like to use for night photography-HDR). Lower ISO noise. A much lower cost.

Then, when the fantasy world comes true, I could enter it.....