Thread: Pano Advise

Pano Advise

I have been doing Pano's lately.
    Actually I have had fairly good luck hand holding a series rather than off the tripod.

For some reason after I make them they always look badly OOF on my computer. I uploaded the one below to Flickr and it looked ok.
    When I print them they look fine, if I zoom in they are fine. Not sure why my computer is doing this, any ideas?

Feel free to make comments, I will take as much education as I can get.This is the Eisenhower Executive Office Building, next to the White House.
    Processed in LR, used lens correction hand held with the 5D II. Stacked the Pano in Photoshop, flattened, took the Tiff back to LR to crop then converted in LR. Not sure why but I haven't been able to crop either the Tiff or the JPG in Photoshop or DPP.

20140823-Untitled_Panorama1 by hdnitehawk01, on Flickr

PS; I already know I am a little off center of the building. It also just has a slight tilt to help camouflage it being off center.
    Last edited by HDNitehawk; 01-25-2015 at 05:28 AM.

I do not know myself but I have a similar issue with Bridge. I can view my images in any software and they look sharp except in Bridge. I even asked Sucette Allen while at a show. She had never heard of this issue
    Mark

I wish I was a computer wizard, but I am not.

My best guess is that it is something the software is doing while working on such a large/complex image.

While not completely analogous, LR usually gives a slightly "fuzzy" image for a few seconds before getting sharp. It was much worse back when I had a slower processor.

Has to be something to do with the 8-bit rendering of your full image. It's just Panos that have the issue? I'm assuming those are massive files once you stitch them in photoshop, no? Maybe you're just asking too much of that video card (s?) of yours.
    Adobe, give us courage to edit what photos must be altered, serenity to delete what cannot be helped, and the insight to know the one from the other.
    Canon EOS 7D - Canon EF-s 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM - Canon 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro - PCB Einsteins & PW Triggers

Thanks guys,

The files are very big.
    The jpg of this building is 19.05 mb and there was quite a bit of waste on the image to be cropped. The tiff I made it from is 1.07 gb.
    I am using Bridge and on all my Mac's, maybe other viewers would work better. I had this problem with the Dell at work and it is a workhorse.
    In Bridge if you zoom in it clears up. It is the opposite usually, when you zoom is when it lags and sometimes freezes if you have to many files open.

I know the feeling, for sure. Sometimes it's surprising that we're able to still find the limits of these machines. When I finished my composite (just posted in my running thread) and saved it in PS.. I got an error message saying that the file was too big for photoshop to save. I DIDN'T EVEN KNOW THAT PS HAD A FILE SIZE LIMIT. Must be doing something right.
    Adobe, give us courage to edit what photos must be altered, serenity to delete what cannot be helped, and the insight to know the one from the other.
    Canon EOS 7D - Canon EF-s 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM - Canon 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro - PCB Einsteins & PW Triggers

I do a ton of panoramic photos.

Suggestions: Always use Manual or Aperture priority

Set focus then turn off autofocus

Fix the tilt in photoshop

I use Portrait positioning of my camera

You can overlap too much

The above photo should be 4-5 frames.

Make sure speed setting is high enough to keep up with your panning speed

There is a technique with a tilt shift lens that I can explain.

Thanks,

It was 5 frames portrait.

I didn't fix the tilt yet, but have been playing with it trying to find the best way. I took the combined and flattened tiff from PS and went back to LR5 and tried to straighten it there. I will try PS next.