Thread: Need travel advice

Need travel advice

So, I've got myself a prorunner 200 backpack which I believe will be fine for carry-on on the plane (but if not I'm screwed). However, I'm looking at taking my tripod. I don't have any more room on carry on for it, but is it ok to put in it's case and carry under the plane or will it potentially get damaged?

I've called the airline and got a Homer Simpson-esque "iunno"

When I went to visit my daughter I shipped it to her FedEx insured. But when I returned, I just broke it down, bubble wrapped it, and buried it in my checked luggage. On the way there is the most important... if it gets lost, then you have nothing to use on your trip. But if the airline loses it on the way back, then the worst is you go shopping with the airlines money.
    5DS R, 1D X, 7D, Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6, 24mm f/1.4L II, 16-35mm f/4L IS, 24-105mm f/4L, 50mm f/1.8, 100mm Macro f/2.8L, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L, 580EX-II
    flickr

I frequently travel with my tripod in my checked luggage. Generally just wrap in in some clothes in the middle of my suitcase and don't worry about it. Never had any problems. Only real concern is if they lose your luggage (which happens far to often), but typically for me, my trips lately are family oriented and I can live without the tripod for a day or so.

Stephen

I frequently travel with my tripod stowed away in a well protected part of my luggage in a RRS Tripod Bag.

Never had an issue.

Fantastic, thank you all for the help