Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: 5Ds vs 5Ds R

Apple pulls off some amazing pricing stunts on occasion. Once you upgrade the storage and CPU of the regular 2560x1440 27" iMac to match the 5K versions, the 5K screen is only a $300 premium. They can likely afford to pull off the minor premium for 5K because their regular models do have a price premium over the 'race to the cheapest component' PC market.

If they pull off another 'minor premium' to go 8K, it will sell. 8K will be a harder stunt to pull off though, because it will need quite a beefy GPU to go along with the screen, which is tricky in the ultra-slim all-in-one form factor.

8K is like having a 4x4 grid of 1080p displays. In a few months we'll see if LG can squeeze that into 27", or if we get an 30" iMac or something instead. The extra size allows for a lower pixel density, but also more space for cooling/heatsinks. And once it's 30" they can attach a bigger premium, even though it made things easier on them.
    On Flickr - Namethatnobodyelsetook on Flickr
    R8 | R7 | 7DII | 10-18mm STM | 24-70mm f/4L | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 | 50mm f/1.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 70-300mm f/4-5.6L | RF 100-500mm f/4-5-7.1L

I want a 50"
    If you see me with a wrench, call 911

Still from a beta camera, but some images are starting to float in. Some are complaining about the noise at 100%. But, if you think of the sensor as a scaled up 7DII, the noise at 100% seems to be in line with my expectations. Plus, isn't that part of the point of a high MP camera....so that you can down sample to your final output and minimize noise?

I am not sure where you saw the noise comments, if you were referring to the comments to the pictures.

Some of the comments were saying he had sharpened in LR to +45 and clarity to +20.
    I regularly push the 5D II and 1D IV that far.
    The 7D II with its higher resolution starts to degrade after +30 +/-. If I were gambling I would bet on the 5Ds to be the same way.
    Back when using he 7D original you had head room to sharpen, this isn't so with the 7D II.

Quote Originally Posted by HDNitehawk View Post
    I am not sure where you saw the noise comments.
    Reader comments at the bottom of the page:

For example:
    Wow. I'm surprised how noisy these images are at base ISO.

Disappointingly noisy, especially for ISO 100. Let's hope the production models do a better job

etc.

I expect it to be like the 7D II as noise goes. Not as good as the 1D IV, 5D II, 5D III, 6D or 1D X.

I am sure there will be many that think it is to noisy and will be disappointed when comparing to a 5D III or 6D.

More noise at 100% is expected. There are only a few questions that matter.

"Do I need/want the extra resolution?"
    If No, stick with your 5D3, 1DX, 6D.
    If Yes, ask yourself:

"Is the resolution wanted solely to get extra reach?"
    If yes, and noise is a concern, perhaps consider keeping your body and picking up a 7D2 instead.
    If you want the resolution and want the full frame view as well, then ask:

"Will this body replace your existing body, or be an addition?"
    If Addition, you want the 5Ds.
    If Replacement, then the next question is:

"How does the noise compare to 1DX/5D3/6D bodies, when the image is downsized to the same res?", followed by:
    "Is the downsized noise level accepted to you?"
    If the downsized noise level is acceptable, you can replace your body. You're still getting acceptable noise levels AND you get extra resolution when you want.
    If the downsized noise level is not acceptable, you're out of luck. You can't get a resolution/noise combo that makes you happy. If money is the problem stopping you from making this an addition, consider downgrading a 5D3 to a 6D, or a 1DX to a 5D3 or 6D.
    On Flickr - Namethatnobodyelsetook on Flickr
    R8 | R7 | 7DII | 10-18mm STM | 24-70mm f/4L | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 | 50mm f/1.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 70-300mm f/4-5.6L | RF 100-500mm f/4-5-7.1L

Out of curiosity has anyone seen images from the beta bodies using Zeiss Otus or 135mm, EF 200mm f2, or EF 300 f2.8 lenses when tripod mounted?
    Playing around a little bit with a 7D I can see that camera shake and lens resolution with a couple of lenses are hampering results at times. I expect that it would be much the same with the 5Ds.