Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 5Ds vs 5Ds R

No built in GPS.
    No built in Wi-Fi
    No increase in FPS.
    Higher ISO noise, moire

Won't it be difficult to get all that resolution if the camera is shaken just a little?

And, as others have said, the lenses need to be top of the line, too.

Quote Originally Posted by shutterdown View Post
    ...Won't it be difficult to get all that resolution if the camera is shaken just a little? ...
    That is true for any camera. The real difference is good technique and a sturdy mount is all the more important if you are going to use it for what it is intended for. If it is just to be used to post small files on the web, then it is the wrong camera.
    5DS R, 1D X, 7D, Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6, 24mm f/1.4L II, 16-35mm f/4L IS, 24-105mm f/4L, 50mm f/1.8, 100mm Macro f/2.8L, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L, 580EX-II
    flickr

So far I'm pretty gobsmacked and don't see any huge deal breaker.

But this could be like that first date with a gorgeous blonde. When she finally laughs she sounds like Olive Oyle!

Still not sure if I'd kick this one out of bed for eating crackers though...

I'll be studying these few crumbs they've thrown our way all weekend I'm sure.

BTW, I've got the 70D and 6D, and have yet to do much of anything with the GPS or WiFi. Seemed so great on paper. I think that it's less possible without a polycarbonate shell, so that could be part of the problem. Build or gadgets.
    Last edited by Anthony M; 02-06-2015 at 03:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by shutterdown View Post
    No built in GPS.

Won't it be difficult to get all that resolution if the camera is shaken just a little?
    Yes but not impossible, just like the 7D II's small pixels take a bit extra work to get the extra resolution out of.

So far though with the 500mm F/4 II and its 4 stops of IS, at shutter speeds over 1/500 hand held I have been able to achieve this to a fair degree. Faster speeds it gets even better hand held.

In 90% of the pictures I take I have no need for the additional resolution. But for the other 10% it will be nice to have.

This is what I thought was significant moire

Quote Originally Posted by HDNitehawk View Post
    Yes but not impossible, just like the 7D II's small pixels take a bit extra work to get the extra resolution out of.

So far though with the 500mm F/4 II and its 4 stops of IS, at shutter speeds over 1/500 hand held I have been able to achieve this to a fair degree. Faster speeds it gets even better hand held.

In 90% of the pictures I take I have no need for the additional resolution. But for the other 10% it will be nice to have.
    I think the intoxicating part (at least for me) is the potential of completely changing the composition of a shot. All of a sudden you've got the ability to remove fully 50% of the image, and still have a great photograph. More than once I've wished I could change a portrait shot into landscape once I've been looking at it in post. I've never really thought that a crop sensor did much to improve "reach" of a lens considering the trade offs, but I would think a lot of you BIF types would get something out of this.

Since I really can't justify this for my "business end" of photography, I'm content to wait and watch (dirty rotten lie). But the creative side of me would love to get this thing. We all saw the moiré coming, and a nice neutral gray is perfect to show that off. But it doesn't seem any worse than some of the moiré I've already seen on the plain old 5D mkIII at this point.

Anyway, aside from that - I can't see what good this could possibly do me. Even when I was doing billboards and packaging - I hired people that knew what they were doing! I confess I loved pulling 4x5's hot out of our Colenta processor and putting them on the light table with a loupe to look at the pores on a model's skin, and using the images for layouts. Today I'd be doing the digital equivalent - except I'd be all dressed up with no place to go! Pixel peeping - expensive thrills.

Then again $3700 - $3900, I don't see how I could just get the 5D mkIII unless it's a lot lower in price from its MSRP (and it's getting there), or we do find some "features" that make these models less palatable than the mouthwatering visage these cameras present at the moment.

BTW, I do see a hint of moiré on another building just to the left as well...
    Last edited by Anthony M; 02-06-2015 at 11:25 PM.

Wasn't the 5d3 something like $3,300 when 1st anounced?
    If you see me with a wrench, call 911

Quote Originally Posted by Busted Knuckles View Post
    Wasn't the 5d3 something like $3,300 when 1st anounced?
    I think $3,499 and many people screamed.

But the Yen was very strong then, it is weak now and I think we see the benifit lately.

One of my other jobs in life was finance at a big company that had a lot of overseas sales, we would look at the sales/manf cost forecast, etc and buy currency options to pretty much take the swings out of the decisions for the operations people. A smart finance guy doesn't let the currency market determine success/failure for his company.

Having said that, if we get specific about what Canon has done, it is a new silicon chip w/ a bitsy change in assembly and the end result of a couple of software type over the last 3 years+. It isn't one guy figuring out the 7dII software, chip design, etc all by himself, there are teams of folks on each element for each camera. There is likely lower yield on the sensor wafer - but think about the number of transistors in the flash drives these days vs. 3 years ago. They have greater failure rates now too. Also the really cheap part of the camera, is the silicon parts, I wouldn't be surprised the frame costs more to produce thant sensor.

I think the pricing makes sense from both a market dynamics and historical point - it might be a tad high, but where else are going to go for 50mp?

Also the number of updated "L" lenses popping out with improved resolution - pretty well put together product strategy.

My 2 pennies of thought.

Mike
    If you see me with a wrench, call 911

Sure they hedge, that is why Canons prices do not change quickly. The Yen has been soft for some time, and we are seeing both lenses and bodies go down in price slowly. In contrast most items have risen in price.

Canon spends billions on R&D, I a sure it is a huge portion of the cost of the camera.
    This body has a new mirror drive assembly and other changes to the body to stop vibration, all more R&D.

It would have been handy of us if they priced like the local gas station and the price changed hourly.