Quote Originally Posted by Squidy View Post
Hmmmm... I think I understand. Is there any way to get a similar view like viewfinder (the red dots) up on liveview? I do like the way viewfinder works, but I find it difficult while looking through to select the focus point I want
There's actually advantages to both ways, I'm realio trulio hardwired to look through the viewfinder. But when I've handed my camera to other people to take shots, they stare at the back of the screen and think they broke the camera!

One thing I like about the 70D (and now 7D MkII) is that the live view/contrast detect focus is starting to become useful. It's kind of neat to have those P&S functions on a DSLR, where the little boxes scoot around and find faces for instance. It's becoming almost fast enough to use frequently, and I'm sure they will have that function very soon.

When the 6D came out, when I saw the on-paper specs for the AF I was so depressed I almost went back to Nikon. While the rest of the focus points border on useless, the center point is near magical. I shoot interiors nearly daily, and the 6D can't be beat. I can put the focus point onto a white wall, and the crazy thing can actually focus. I used to have to find some major point of contrast and recompose. I'm still a big fan of center-point focus and recomposing anyway, this just speeds up the process. You'll also find that the 6D needs very little light to achieve focus. It used to be you needed your flash just for the AF assist even if you weren't using it.