Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 2015 Image of the Week #8

It's Monday where I am, barely, and I have a stupidly busy day ahead, so I'm posting a bit early. Hopefully nobody on the West Coast had a last minute image planned... there's always next week!

I like Kayaker's "Warm Thoughts". It's going down -35C here this morning, which makes this picture very inviting, and I imagine a lot of us are wishing we were there. As inviting as this picture is, no, it's not my selection.

Everyone knows I'm a sucker for shots of our furry friends, and DavidWare's "Rat the Cat" shot is really nice. I like to color combo, the eye detail, the catchlights, and the merle-y nose... but it's not my choice either.

The extra effort put into Kombi's "Retro Life" shot puts it on top. Nicely setup, and the aged yellow tinted image with some vignetting all add to the retro feel.

Congrats Kombi!

And finally, welcome Geek. I like your shot too. Very saturated, which can be a tricky look to pull off nicely. I'm curious... Is that just the top of that plant, or is that down at ground level? It looks like there might be blades of grass just the to left of the main plant, which would put this down near ground level... and that makes me wonder what's up with the barbed trip-wire?
    On Flickr - Namethatnobodyelsetook on Flickr
    R8 | R7 | 7DII | 10-18mm STM | 24-70mm f/4L | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 | 50mm f/1.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 70-300mm f/4-5.6L | RF 100-500mm f/4-5-7.1L

Quote Originally Posted by DavidEccleston View Post

And finally, welcome Geek. I like your shot too. Very saturated, which can be a tricky look to pull off nicely. I'm curious... Is that just the top of that plant, or is that down at ground level? It looks like there might be blades of grass just the to left of the main plant, which would put this down near ground level... and that makes me wonder what's up with the barbed trip-wire?
    A Big Contrats to Kombi, Great shot!!

This is actually the top of a palm yucca and the top stand of a 5 strand barbed wire fence. There is a small hill behind that makes the silhouette appear to be closer to the ground. I now know to be a little more careful editing on my laptop. The picture was not quite so saturated on that display. I noticed the difference after posting, but decided to just leave it.

Thanks for the encouragement!

Congrats Kombi! Like that retro shot.

Zach
    great shot kombi

Congrats Kombi! That was an overall excellent shot! Great subject, lighting, idea and execution.

Thank you so much everyone!
    It was a fun shoot. I have a couple more from the shoot I've edited up on flickr.
    https://flic.kr/s/aHsk5aLj7K

Enjoy!