400 f5.6L

just picked one up yesterday and this is why im not outside playing with it
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	temp.JPG 
Views:	106 
Size:	87.2 KB 
ID:	2391
    Stuart Edwards
    1DX Mark II , 6D , Samyang 14mm f2.8 ,Sigma 85mm f1.4A , 24-105mm f/4L IS , 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II ,100-400 f5.6L II , 300mm f/2.8L II , EF 1.4x III , EF 2x III, 430EX II

You know, there are all these great photo ops of massive snow drifts and piles that I could go out to photograph. But the thought really hadn't even crossed my mind until about a day or two ago when I realized that it would be great...but I wasn't going outside until it warmed up......

We've seen a decent blanket of snow in my neck of the woods, too. So much snow, in fact, that the county schools and the local university have been out all week (and will be out the rest of the week, too).

Keep in mind, it only takes (2) snowflakes to cancel school for a day. We're just prepared to handle any significant amount of snow.

Took this shot yesterday morning:

Walnut Park Gazebo by budrowilson, on Flickr

with the wind its like a blizzard here right now but tomorrow it should be sunny. i am going to Rochester NY in the morning and im taking the scenic route through the Adirondacks. there should be something picture worthy in the mountains.
    Stuart Edwards
    1DX Mark II , 6D , Samyang 14mm f2.8 ,Sigma 85mm f1.4A , 24-105mm f/4L IS , 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II ,100-400 f5.6L II , 300mm f/2.8L II , EF 1.4x III , EF 2x III, 430EX II

Stuart, congrats on the purchase. I have often went back and forth on whether I should have purchased my 300mm f/4 IS or that lens. Kind of wish I would have went your route. Having said that, there are tons of photo opportunities during snow. Just put a sandwich bag over your lens to protect it from the elements (make sure all of the crumbs are out) and go have some fun. This was all 2 minutes from my house.

No negative numbers? That's balmy. You'll love the 400 5.6, though. In good light it's very fast to focus and sharp as a tack.

I went out to grab some shots yesterday morning with a -25F windchill just to test out my new super-lightweight SL1/55-250mm STM rig. I wasn't outside long at all, I can tell you. But what amazes me is how the birds survive in that cold. My feeder was jammed with Bluejays and Cardinals and Blackcaps and so on.

Bluejays
    by Mark J Photography, on Flickr
    Last edited by M_Six; 02-20-2015 at 02:30 AM.
    Mark - Flickr