Thread: Hot Pixels

Hot Pixels

Not so sure if this is a post production type of topic or not, but I wanted to share an experience that I was extremely happy with.

I have been shooting a lot of longer exposure sunsets recently. I noticed on the last two evenings of shooting that I was starting to get a whole bunch of hot pixels. Scared as to what this meant for my ancient 7D and not wanting to spend the funds on sending it into Canon service or getting something newer, I decided to scour the internet for any topic that might help. I discovered on a flickr topic that digital sensors with hot pixels can be remapped and it should hopefully fix the issue. To do this, you remove the lens and put the little screw on cap over the front of your camera. Set your camera to manual cleaning and leave the shutter open for over 30 seconds. When completed, shut off your camera and see if it worked. It took two times for mine to work, but no more hot pixels.

I don't know if I was out in the dark and everyone else knew this, but if not, wanted to share.

Have a good evening!

Jayson

That sounds a lot easier than soldering contacts lol
    Stuart Edwards
    1DX Mark II , 6D , Samyang 14mm f2.8 ,Sigma 85mm f1.4A , 24-105mm f/4L IS , 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II ,100-400 f5.6L II , 300mm f/2.8L II , EF 1.4x III , EF 2x III, 430EX II

Quote Originally Posted by sedwards View Post
    That sounds a lot easier than soldering contacts lol
    Much easier to do and much easier on the nerves. An added bonus is there are no extra parts when you get done. I tend to have that problem when I tear things down.