Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Printing on the fly...

Printing on the fly...

How would I go about setting up a photo shoot with "instant prints"…kids parties, holidays etc…I want to use my T3i. I own a Canon Pixma Pro 100.

Thanks

I have a friend who owns an event photography business. He uses dye sublimation printers which produce glossy prints in a few seconds. He shoots small jpegs and makes prints with little or no editing in most cases. The dye sub printer is the key.

Thanks Joel

How do you get the images to the printer quickly without downloading the card?

Quote Originally Posted by jerrytech1 View Post
    Thanks Joel

Maybe you should shoot tethered and then print via the laptop screen? Else something like the Canon SELPHY CP910 supports direct print through PictBridge. There may even be a way to pair an Eye-Fi card to it, but I'm not sure. Otherwise, you can insert an SD card into the printer and print the images that way (clunky workflow, though).

The Pixma Pro 100 has a pict bridge port, so you should be able to print from the camera... You can test this right now. Here's a how-to. The Pixma Pro 100 is only supposed to be 14W, so that shouldn't be a problem to power. They sell car battery booster packs that also have regular plug sockets on them. Make sure you're charged the day before, and you should be able to have power at your event wherever you want it.
    On Flickr - Namethatnobodyelsetook on Flickr
    R8 | R7 | 7DII | 10-18mm STM | 24-70mm f/4L | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 | 50mm f/1.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 70-300mm f/4-5.6L | RF 100-500mm f/4-5-7.1L

Personally, I'd rather travel with the SELPHY rather than the PIXMA PRO-100. Image quality aside, the SELPHY CP910 would easily fit in the front seat of my car. The PIXMA PRO-100 would take up most of the trunk. :-)

Depends on the event and what you're trying to sell at the event. At something like a Kid's party, everyone will know what you're doing, and they're not likely to want a large shot. At a kid's football game, people might not know you're there, and if they did, they might want a print large enough to hang.

People are pre-conditioned to think of 4x6" prints as being cheap. The larger print sizes of the Pixma would add some value, and potentially some interest. If people see someone walking away with an 8x10 or 13x19 print, they might notice and come have a look at what you're doing for themselves.

This is all theoretical... I've never showed up to an event with a printer. I picked up a Pixma Pro-100 just 2 days ago, the thought of doing this had already crossed my mind. People are there already, and may be encouraged when they see someone else buy a print.
    On Flickr - Namethatnobodyelsetook on Flickr
    R8 | R7 | 7DII | 10-18mm STM | 24-70mm f/4L | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 | 50mm f/1.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 70-300mm f/4-5.6L | RF 100-500mm f/4-5-7.1L

Quote Originally Posted by jerrytech1 View Post
    Thanks Joel

He usually shoots small jpeg's in camera and he has an assistant who downloads the cards and makes prints. He does shoot tethered sometimes too if that fits the venue. There are also wifi cards.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidEccleston View Post
    Depends on the event and what you're trying to sell at the event. At something like a Kid's party, everyone will know what you're doing, and they're not likely to want a large shot. At a kid's football game, people might not know you're there, and if they did, they might want a print large enough to hang.

People are pre-conditioned to think of 4x6" prints as being cheap. The larger print sizes of the Pixma would add some value, and potentially some interest. If people see someone walking away with an 8x10 or 13x19 print, they might notice and come have a look at what you're doing for themselves.

This is all theoretical... I've never showed up to an event with a printer. I picked up a Pixma Pro-100 just 2 days ago, the thought of doing this had already crossed my mind. People are there already, and may be encouraged when they see someone else buy a print.
    I have helped shoot many different events in the last 3 years and it is very difficult to predict what will sell. Generally small (4x6) and inexpensive prints sell best but it is extremely variable. Anything over $20 will not sell much in my experience.

This will be for an Easter Bunny shoot. 4x6 or 5x7 max. I'd like to set up in the morning and just do an assembly line approach.