Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Online Members Marketplace

Online Members Marketplace

Who can or can't you trust online? I'd like to think that members of this forum are honest and decent people, and with that in mind I suggest an area whereby used equipment could be offered for sale to other members.

While purchases in any venue are "Buyer Beware", I believe that the membership of this forum would do a decent job of offering equipment at a fair market price and with an honest representation of condition.

Any comments?

Re: Online Members Marketplace

I suggest you take this up with Bryan. I recently discussed the same thing with him and
    I think he was interested in hearing the thoughts and opinions of other
    members. My position is that this forum would be an excellent place
    for members to buy/sell/trade their gear so I can't wait to hear what other people have to say!

SECOND![] It would be great to have something kind of like this.

--Johan

I also thought about this several times before. Sounds like a good idea to me.

Quote Originally Posted by ShutterbugJohan

It would be great to have something kind of like [url="http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/board/10]this[/url].

--Johan
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

Johan, thanks for posting the link. Do you use this site? I would love something like that here.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Elberson

Quote Originally Posted by ShutterbugJohan

It would be great to have something kind of like [url="http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/board/10]this[/url].

--Johan
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

Johan, thanks for posting the link. Do you use this site? I would love something like that here.

Yes, I purchased my 16-35/2.8L off of the FredMiranda.com buy and sell forums. My username there is ShutterbugJ.

--Johan

Like I told Mark, I'm open to a Buy/Sell forum here. Actually, it exists butI neverenabled it. David is going to tweak the TOS for legal issues surrounding this.

Now I need yourhelp:

I need this group to create a list of rules for governing the Buy/Sell forum. I willthen create a sticky post in the new forum containing the edited rules and enable the forum.

Sound good?

Hmm... I think that first of all we should have some minimum requirements for participating in this forum - like a minimum number of posts, but certainly more (and better) criterions.

I think it's an interesting idea which should be explored.

The only rules I can think of are obvious stuff: the Buy/Sell forum should be used for "for sale" (and possibly "wanted") posts, and that the items for sale and wanted should be camera related stuff (I would like us to be broad with this requirement, but no old clothes, beds, brooms, sandwiches, or other stuff that is irrelevant to photography). The seller should not misrepresent the item for sale and should be forthcoming about all defects.

Other than that, IMO, anything should go.

Quote Originally Posted by Oren
    Hmm... I think that first of all we should have some minimum
    requirements for participating in this forum - like a minimum number of
    posts, but certainly more (and better) criterions.

We could leave these types of requirements up to the buyer, unless/until we have problems.

It would be nice (not necessary) if buyers could leave ratings/feedback for sellers (and vice versa possibly). But not if it is too much work (I have no idea: if this is something that just needs to be enabled, cool, otherwise, no need.)

Some transaction protocol/etiquette might be in order. Such as: the subject should read "For Sale" or "Wanted" together with the item in question. When buyer and seller reach an agreement, the seller should modify the "for sale" post to indicate "sale pending", and modify it further to read "sold" when he/she receives payment.

I'm thinking this will be low volume, but if necessary the Buy/Sell forum could be subdivided (eg bodies, lenses, filters, ... ).