Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 5Ds first non-marketing sample shots

5Ds first non-marketing sample shots

While I'm sure many of us await Bryan's review, it's always nice to see some non-Canon marketing shots from a new body.

Imaging resource has posted their first sample images (from a pre-production body)

They show crops at 100%, and do comparisons to Nikon D810 and to 7D2 at both original and down-sized to matching resolution. Shots at Base ISO, ISO 6400, and a shot at ISO 12800 with and without MultiShot noise reduction.

The jist of it is that at 100% the noise is very much like the 7D2, but downsized, the noise is reduced. The Nikon looks sharper at 100%, but sizing Nikon to 50.6MP, or Canon to 36 MP results is pretty much the same image.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/news...me-heavyweight
    On Flickr - Namethatnobodyelsetook on Flickr
    R8 | R7 | 7DII | 10-18mm STM | 24-70mm f/4L | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 | 50mm f/1.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 70-300mm f/4-5.6L | RF 100-500mm f/4-5-7.1L

Not sure there is anything there that I didn't expect to see. It is a low ISO body with high resolution.

Like most comparisons with crop sensors, it appears they are doing a comparison of equal framing. The 7D II is 1.6x farther away.

The difference in the 7D II and 5Ds R made me wonder, I wanted to confirm that the 5Ds R file size was not down sampled in some way by the cameras firmware and that they had indeed shot for equal framing.
    If the 5Ds R is down sampled is it is not by a significant amount. The 5Ds R sensor is 2.57 x the area of the 7D II. The file size of the 5Ds R is 2.52 x the area of the 7D II.
    8688 x 5792 vs 5472 x 3648.

It is hard to say, but it appears the 5Ds R will have substantially more noise at ISO 6400 than the 7D II when you are in a focal length limited situation and both are cropped to the same field of view. But, I would never be shooting the 7D II at ISO 6400 so the test really doesn't provide much information for me.

David posted some pictures of his dogs, using the 7D II at ISO 6400, and I thought they looked very good.

7D2 might be too noisy at ISO 6400 for large prints, but for web shots and 8x10 it should be fine. (I haven't tried big prints of ISO 6400 shots, but I've seen ISO 3200 shots from a 7D1 on a banner and it looked fine).

For equal framing, the 5Ds would reduce the noise levels, either from finer noise due to increased DPI, or from less noise via downsizing the image. It would likely be good for most uses, but everybody's tolerance levels for noise are different.

For many shots, you'll be controlling the light, and shooting at a low ISO anyway, so what we're worrying about here is high-ISO noise shots. These would be shots in places where you can't reduce ISO by increasing light or time. This would be sports(dusk and indoor action), concerts (dim, no flash), etc.

I'm not sure how a high-ISO down-res'd 5Ds image would compare vs. a 5D3 image at the same ISO, same framing. That would would be an important thing for Bryan to test, as that's going to be a big decision point for many on choosing between 5D3 vs. 5Ds.

Another good test would be cases where you're focal length limited, both low-ISO and high-ISO. How does a cropped and downscaled 5D3 image compare to a 5Ds image in low/high ISO situations? What about 7D2? If the 5Ds is noisier than 7D2 at the pixel level, at what amount of cropping would you be better off with the 7D2, if ever?

Inquiring minds want to know.
    R8 | R7 | 7DII | 10-18mm STM | 24-70mm f/4L | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 | 50mm f/1.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 70-300mm f/4-5.6L | RF 100-500mm f/4-5-7.1L

Shots at ISO 800 - 12800 on a production 5Ds + 70-200 F/4L USM.

Many full size JPG, and a few CR2 files beneath that.
    http://www.photographyblog.com/previ...0mm_f4_photos/

Also, using a few sigma art primes http://www.photographyblog.com/previ...m_50mm_photos/

Looks impressive. Granted, everyone is now abuzz about the Sony 40 mp backlit sensor.

Quote Originally Posted by Kayaker72 View Post
    Looks impressive. Granted, everyone is now abuzz about the Sony 40 mp backlit sensor.
    Interesting release by Sony, I wonder how many pre-orders for the 5Ds and 5Dsr were canceled today.

Quote Originally Posted by HDNitehawk View Post
    Interesting release by Sony, I wonder how many pre-orders for the 5Ds and 5Dsr were canceled today.
    The 5Ds file size at ISO 6400 is already 100 MB. What would a 42 MP file size be at ISO 102,000????

I am curious about the performance of the back illuminated sensor. It'll be interesting to see how much is gained. Other than that, I am sure it is capable of taking good pictures.....but so is my 5DIII

Quote Originally Posted by Kayaker72 View Post
    The 5Ds file size at ISO 6400 is already 100 MB. What would a 42 MP file size be at ISO 102,000????

I am curious about the performance of the back illuminated sensor. It'll be interesting to see how much is gained. Other than that, I am sure it is capable of taking good pictures.....but so is my 5DIII
    I just bought a new computer to play games on. It has a 128gb SSD, I think I should be able to process 1 image very very fast.

But, I did cancel my pre-order. I am not planning anything that I want the 5Dsr for in the next few months. I decided to wait and see what develops. High mp sensor that can handle high ISO as well, very interesting.

Also, all my bodies are capable of taking good pictures as well, including my ancient 5D II.

Other than Bryan's review...here is one (lensrentals) that I am most interested. As we should expect, the 5Ds/r helps with the resolution of all lenses tested. My takeaways:
    • It is interesting how much more the 5Dsr resolves compared to the 5Ds. Unless some sort of negative with the "r" is observed, that is enough of a difference that I expect the "r" to be popular with those that want every bit of resolution. It is also interesting, I wonder if Canon will start removing the AA filter in all their bodies. If so, the 5DIV and 1DX II, even with similar MP, may see a benefit and close this resolution gap a bit.
    • An example of lens limited resolution may have appeared, the Zeiss 21 mm f/2.8 in the corners.