Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lightroom 6 or CC

I remember reading somewhere that the software will check your license once every 30 days, so if you are without internet for several weeks, you can still use your software. When I first got LR5 on my laptop, I did go without internet for 2 weeks and still was able to use LR as needed.

Lightroom 5 appears to have installed as stand-alone, while LR6 integrates with creative cloud... so LR5 might not have phoned home. Still, I'd like to see details about what the every 30 days means. If it only checks every 30 days, and on day 29 you go on a trip or your internet dies, you're out of luck after a day. If it checks daily, but is willing to accept 30 days of not hearing back, then you're always good for a 30 day outage/trip.
    On Flickr - Namethatnobodyelsetook on Flickr
    R8 | R7 | 7DII | 10-18mm STM | 24-70mm f/4L | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 | 50mm f/1.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 70-300mm f/4-5.6L | RF 100-500mm f/4-5-7.1L

Alright. I just upgraded to OS X Yosemite (10.10.3), and now have GPU acceleration for LR. i7 3.4GHz, 24GB 1600MHz DDR3, GeForce GTX 675MX 1GB.

... and it's odd. The main basic sliders (white balance, exposure, highlights, shadows, etc. + curves) are all instant... sort-of. Temp/Tint/Exposure are instant, and that *is* awesome. Anything that changes the curve (highlight/shadow/whites/blacks/curves) throws away detail temporarily, which then fades back in after you're done adjusting. This could make it hard to do minor tweaks. Noise reduction takes a while to kick in... that's no better than it was, I think.
    R8 | R7 | 7DII | 10-18mm STM | 24-70mm f/4L | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 | 50mm f/1.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 70-300mm f/4-5.6L | RF 100-500mm f/4-5-7.1L

Quote Originally Posted by DavidEccleston View Post

... and it's odd. The main basic sliders (white balance, exposure, highlights, shadows, etc. + curves) are all instant... sort-of. Temp/Tint/Exposure are instant, and that *is* awesome. Anything that changes the curve (highlight/shadow/whites/blacks/curves) throws away detail temporarily, which then fades back in after you're done adjusting. This could make it hard to do minor tweaks. Noise reduction takes a while to kick in... that's no better than it was, I think.
    That is odd. I just checked and I am not seeing the loss of detail. The Noise reduction feature may be a bit faster than before, but not by much.

I think they mentioned in one of their videos that some previews are 1024 wide for non-Retina, and 2048 wide for Retina. With a 2560x1440 non-Retina display, I've got well over 1024 pixels even after taking away space for the tools. I thought those limits only applied to the new panorama and HDR tools, but perhaps any GPU enhanced preview is affected.

Okay, this has been out for a while and the newness should now be worn off. Those who have it, is it worth the upgrade from 5? Any faster? I know that people have said it is faster in some respects, but trust everyone here's opinion a little more than internet reviews.

I found how to get the upgrade price of $79 off the adobe site and am tossing around the idea of upgrading this week.

Thanks!

Will Bryan or Sean be doing a review of LR6?

I bought the upgrade but I'm hard pressed to notice any speed difference, even with my compatible graphics chip. It's probably faster than LR5, but I have to confess that the real reason I upgraded is because I can't stand to have something that is not the latest-and-greatest (whether I need it or not). It's a hopeless affliction that I think more than a few of you can relate to....

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Huyer View Post
    I bought the upgrade but I'm hard pressed to notice any speed difference, even with my compatible graphics chip. It's probably faster than LR5, but I have to confess that the real reason I upgraded is because I can't stand to have something that is not the latest-and-greatest (whether I need it or not). It's a hopeless affliction that I think more than a few of you can relate to....
    Honestly, I think that is my problem also and will probably upgrade anyway. :-) Trying to make it right in my head before I buy though.

Jonathan, you needed LR6 in order to get support your upcoming 5Ds.

(Don't pretend you haven't pre-ordered one...)