Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lightroom 6 or CC

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Huyer View Post
    real reason I upgraded is because I can't stand to have something that is not the latest-and-greatest (whether I need it or not). It's a hopeless affliction that I think more than a few of you can relate to....
    hahahaha.....never.......oh wait

Jayson....the in LR Pano and HDR tools are nice. Especially since I do most of my work in LR. I am seeing things as faster, especially exporting photos. But I will say, now when I have LR open, it seems to be frequently pushing my CPU and putting off some heat. Even when I am not doing much I occasionally hear the fan racing.

So there are some nice enhancements. But, honestly, this is not a "must have." But, there are a few nice little "latest and greatest" bells and whistles.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidEccleston View Post
    Jonathan, you needed LR6 in order to get support your upcoming 5Ds.

(Don't pretend you haven't pre-ordered one...)
    Busted! Oh and when does the 1DX II come out for preorder....? Just asking for a friend.....

So now that people have had a month of use of LR6/CC, is it worth the upgrade? I still use LR4, PS CC (subscription), Photomatrix, and a bunch of other apps for LR. Using a fairly new PC w/ SSD's as the main drives.

Is your graphics card relatively new and capable? If so, moving on up to Lightroom CC is a great idea. However, I actually experienced a performance drop after the last LR update because the software had been redesigned to take advantage of the GPU on new video cards; mine is too old/underpowered to qualify.

So it looks like my older video card is supported and will have a performance boost (an ATI V7900). I will go ahead and install this weekend.

Sean, would you have stayed with lr5 had you known of the performance drop or is it still worth the update? I have an unsupported card also and have been going back and forth on the thought. I have a mb pro from 2011 so no card update here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oddly enough, I was just editing the lastest wedding I shot and I'm not experiencing the same performance slowdowns.

I have two theories on why that is:

1) Adobe released an updat that addressed some of the performance issues or
    2) The performance issues come about later in the processing workflow. For instance, once 100 images are edited, the program must compile all those edits and store them in memory. If you're early in the editing process, there are less edits for the program to buffer.

I have no idea if #2 is even plausible, but I won't know until I get about halfway through the edits.

From what I've experienced early on in this most recent wedding, I'd go with the most recent version of LR. Stay tuned.

Staying tuned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And in the newest development, a whole new version of Lightroom CC is available (2015). That may change the formula even more.

You'll have to give me the rundown when you have a chance. I have about 2k pictures to go through from the last couple of weekends and am thinking of upgrading my version to use some of the HDR and pano tools. If it is still slow, I may just stick with what I have.