Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lightroom 6 or CC

Lightroom 6 or CC

I do not know if others have upgraded, but after spending parts of the last day playing with it, LR 6 is looking good. I am liking the results from the in LR pano-merge and HDR ...but the real difference I am noticing is the processing speed has increased. LR now uses not only the CPU but also the GPU's processing abilities.

Need to play around a little more with the other new features

One quick note, it has created separate catalogs for a couple of projects I had ongoing in LR5. I haven't yet had an issue, but as an FYI.

I am getting it the minute I can upgrade my lr5 by purchasing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As I already had the Photography CC subscription, I just had to click install. Seems to work just as before. While it kept my export settings, it lost my display settings (ie: showing cropped res and exposure info briefly when switching images). It made duplicate upgraded catalogs as Kayaker pointed out.

For those on OS X, it says it needs 10.9 to use the GPU (I'm still on 10.8.5 for no particular reason other than "if it works, don't mess with it"). What sort of speed improvement are you seeing? What's your CPU and what's your GPU and RAM on each?
    On Flickr - Namethatnobodyelsetook on Flickr
    R8 | R7 | 7DII | 10-18mm STM | 24-70mm f/4L | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 | 50mm f/1.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 70-300mm f/4-5.6L | RF 100-500mm f/4-5-7.1L

Quote Originally Posted by DavidEccleston View Post
    What sort of speed improvement are you seeing? What's your CPU and what's your GPU and RAM on each?
    Pretty much across the board most things are faster. Previously I had clocked my per photo "export" time at ~5-6 seconds per picture. I just tested it again and 10 photos where exported in ~14 seconds. So export is faster. I didn't really have complaints before, but what I am enjoying (in all of a bit more than a day of use) is changes I make in the develop module are shown more quickly. I wouldn't call them instantaneous, but, I would say I am seeing changes in under half the time I did before. So, approaching instantaneous.

I am running on a machine I built in 2011 but I upgraded the CPU last year:
    • RAM: 8GB (DDR3 1600)
    • CPU: AMD 8-Core 4.0 GHz (16 MB)
    • GPU: GeForce 430 video card (DDR3 1GB)

The GPU was only intended to be adequate...but, as I said, I am pleased with the results. I am actually wondering now if I did upgrade my GPU if LR changes would be instantaneous.

Thanks Kayaker. Looks like I should upgrade my OS to take advantage of this. I was afraid only "top tier" cards would see a significant gain, but if you're seeing those gains with a 430, then this is awesome news for just about everybody.
    R8 | R7 | 7DII | 10-18mm STM | 24-70mm f/4L | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 | 50mm f/1.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 70-300mm f/4-5.6L | RF 100-500mm f/4-5-7.1L

I just updated from LR4. Not noticing any substantial changes in speed, but I am operating on an outdated PC I built in 2008 (with a few upgrades since).

I have been playing with the facial recognition. Seems to work ok. Although after I tagged the first person (my wife) it pretty much thought every other person was her. And it also seems to get tricked by patterns sometimes and identify random objects as people. After you put in the initial work to identity everyone, it does give you a nice way to filter images.

Haven't tried the HDR or pano stitching yet. Curious to see if the HDR is any better than the Merge to 32-bit HDR plug in that I use now.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/sambisu/

5DIII, T2i, Canon 24-70 f/2.8L II, Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, Canon 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II, Canon 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II, 600EX-RT x2

Seems like some people are having issues getting the GPU enhanced performance. First step would be to make sure you have the most up to date driver for your GPU. Second step would be in lightroom, go to EDIT/Preferences/Performance and make sure the box is checked next to your Graphic Processor.

On that page is a link to an Adobe support page for GPU enhanced performance. There are minimum system requirements such as:

Minimum System Requirements
    • 64-bit OS versions only
    • OpenGL 3.3 and later
    • Mac OS 10.9 and later
    • Windows 7 and later

Note: Intel 4400 or later required
    Note: GPU acceleration is disabled on Mac OS 10.8
    Note: GPUs running under virtual machines are not tested or supported.

I haven't tried the face recognition software yet. Right now I am processing two trips with limited people shots. After I get back to family photos I'll give it a try.
    Last edited by Kayaker72; 04-25-2015 at 09:57 AM.

The amount of information that Adobe gives you is crap.
    No surprise as each time I have bought something from them it has been the same way.

I will qualify for the discounted Complete CC since I own one of the previous complete suites.
    So what I am trying to figure out with CC.
    Do you access it online each time you use it, or does it download and stay on the machine so you can work off line?
    Is it only a cloud feature where you are uploading your files or does or can it all remain on your computer?
    Can you use programs on other machines, for instance can I use it on the iMac at home and then utilize it on the Windows machine at work?
    Or is it limited to only available on two computers like the old versions?

Thanks

The apps are downloaded and your files remain local. It needs to check-in one in a while to ensure the license is still valid. Their servers went down for a day or two a while back. People's apps still worked, but they lost the ability to use the Adobe Font stuff... that wanted to be able to check the license either on each use, or far too often. They may have fixed that, as it was a lot of bad press at the time. So, barring any extended outage of internet, you should be fine. The CC apps can be activated on two machines, just like the old apps. I'm pretty sure you can mix and match PC/Mac just like the old apps too.

Old apps needed you to deactivate your license on the machine to get the license back, into order to install it elsewhere. That sucked if your machine died. Now that they require the occasional phone-home, they should be able to give you back a lost license, once the previous phone-home time limit has expired... Though I'm not sure they offer that. This question was what put me off getting the Photography CC subscription when it was announced, as I'd just lost a PC and one of my Elements licenses. I only decided to switch to CC when I got the 7D2, since a new Elements or Lightroom would be the same price, except I'd have full Photoshop. I still only went for it after I realized that even if Adobe don't offer any way to get your licenses back, I could cancel at the end of a year and buy it again with a new email address to get 2 new licenses... so it's not the end of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by HDNitehawk View Post
    Do you access it online each time you use it, or does it download and stay on the machine so you can work off line?
    Download it once, it is on your machine

Is it only a cloud feature where you are uploading your files or does or can it all remain on your computer?
    Essentially behaves as it did when you bought the software. The software and all files are on my computer.

Can you use programs on other machines, for instance can I use it on the iMac at home and then utilize it on the Windows machine at work?
    There is an option where you can sync files with the cloud and that allows you to sync between multiple devices. I believe their target is mobile devices, but I do not see why you couldn't do that with a work then home machine. In other words, if anything they seem to be encouraging the sharing of files between multiple devices. I do not use that feature, so am unsure of how well it works.

Or is it limited to only available on two computers like the old versions?
    I am not sure. I found the 2 device reference online which referred to specific sections of the T&C...the current T&C's no longer read that way. But I only use on one device.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidEccleston View Post
    The apps are downloaded and your files remain local. It needs to check-in one in a while to ensure the license is still valid. Their servers went down for a day or two a while back. People's apps still worked, but they lost the ability to use the Adobe Font stuff... that wanted to be able to check the license either on each use, or far too often. They may have fixed that, as it was a lot of bad press at the time. So, barring any extended outage of internet, you should be fine. The CC apps can be activated on two machines, just like the old apps. I'm pretty sure you can mix and match PC/Mac just like the old apps too.

Old apps needed you to deactivate your license on the machine to get the license back, into order to install it elsewhere. That sucked if your machine died. Now that they require the occasional phone-home, they should be able to give you back a lost license, once the previous phone-home time limit has expired... Though I'm not sure they offer that. This question was what put me off getting the Photography CC subscription when it was announced, as I'd just lost a PC and one of my Elements licenses. I only decided to switch to CC when I got the 7D2, since a new Elements or Lightroom would be the same price, except I'd have full Photoshop. I still only went for it after I realized that even if Adobe don't offer any way to get your licenses back, I could cancel at the end of a year and buy it again with a new email address to get 2 new licenses... so it's not the end of the world.
    All I can add to this is my computer crashed, I re-downloaded LR no problem. Could be because I only was using it on one device. I've lost power/internet for a few days in a row and was still using lightroom on generator power.

The handshake thing makes sense. The only issue I've run into was if I changed my password online, I needed to logout and log back into the Creative Suite app to make sure I was logged in with the current password. A bit odd, but this happened while I was downloading LR 6/cc. Lightroom 5.7 opened just fine, but LR 6/cc would not.