Thread: 6D

6D

Who on here uses a 6D? I have been toying with the idea of picking one up and have finally decided it is time to upgrade the old camera. I am torn between getting a 6D or a used Mark II. I am really leaning toward the 6D but don't see many pictures posted with it. I am doing many more landscapes than I previously thought I would and now have a couple of weddings lined up for later this year. I want to get use to the controls of the 6D if I am going that way so wanted to buy sooner than later. Don't think I would need that with the Mark II. Can anyone here share their experiences with the 6D and maybe post a couple of pictures?

Thank you in advance.

Jayson

I think I would choose the 6D myself. When buying used there is always some risk. The risk is usually low if you buy from someone like KEH but new and latest & greatest is always good. For many images posted with a 6D go here.
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by clemmb View Post
    I think I would choose the 6D myself. When buying used there is always some risk. The risk is usually low if you buy from someone like KEH but new and latest & greatest is always good. For many images posted with a 6D go here.
    Thanks Mark. I am really leaning toward the 6D and wanted to see it used in the atmosphere that I was looking to use it. Flickr helped a lot. I don't think I am going to buy used since it is only $100 more for a new one compared to the used at KEH. If there was more of a difference, I would definitely look that route.

I started with a T2i and then moved to the 7D. I still use the 7D, but purchased a 6D for the low-light performance I read about in the reviews. Bottom line it's going to take a lot to separate me from my 6D. I do use the 7D at times when I want the extra reach and I have good light, but the 6D is the go to camera.

I no longer have any problems with noise in my images - the low-light performance is OUTSTANDING. It is a basic camera it does not have the AF and bells and whistles of some more expensive choices, but I use it outdoors for wildlife all the time without any problems. I am still experimenting with different types of photography and it just gets the job done. I am very happy with mine. Hope that helps.
    Let No One Walk Alone
    --------------
    Bill

I just picked one up. No pictures, yet. Like Lumens, I bought it for the low light performance. Since it is full frame, it's going to be used for landscape photography. My current landscape camera is the 5DII.

The features and performance of the 6D are so good, at such a reasonable price, I would bite on it.

Thanks everyone. Shutterdown I would like to hear your thoughts once you've had a chance to shoot it compared to your 5d II. I will probably be using it for landscapes and the occasional family session so am interested as to the comparison between the two.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Before I bought the 6D, I had the 5Dc and the 7D. I needed something with low light performance (ISO and AF) for events and the 6D performs well. I would say that 90% of my shots on my website are from the 6D. Go here for some sky shots: http://hmm-photography.format.com/nighttime#1 (all at ISO 1600). I have some pictures from a few events at 25,600 (http://hmm-photography.format.com/2195345-live-music#1).

I would personally go with the 6D too.

I've had the 6D since March 2013 and have enjoyed it. Image quality has been excellent in my opinion, files are clean at high ISO and I have not seen any banding.

I've never done a wedding or any professional work and am strictly a hobbyist, but there appears to be 2 primary downsides to the 6D:

1. The autofocus capabilities using non-center points are limited. I never used the 5D2, but understand it has the same limitations.
    2. There is only one card slot.

Lots of people have used the 5D2 despite questionable autofocus for weddings. Still it would give me concern if I was doing paid work.

I have many images posted:

https://www.flickr.com/search/?user_...=6d&view_all=1

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Jayson View Post
    Thanks everyone. Shutterdown I would like to hear your thoughts once you've had a chance to shoot it compared to your 5d II.
    Jayson, it might be a while. I'll be heading to Yellowstone in June. I plan on using it then.

Looks like Dave gave some good info on it, too.