Thread: Question for Sean on coffee bean photo

Question for Sean on coffee bean photo

I read your post on the coffee bean photo.

I noticed you used a 24mm 1.4.
    I often use the canon version especially in low light churches for weddings.
    I also like the increased depth of focus over longer lenses.

With my 5D at 20 feet (24mm 1.4) i get a depth of field of about 22 feet which is great for aisle shots
    My 85mm at 1.4 at the same distance will only get me a dept of focus of about 2 feet.

But I do worry some about distortion with the wide angle lens as the bride gets closer.

So here is the question:

I noticed you used the 24mm 1.4 at a fairly close distance. With that lens do you worry about wide angle lens facial distortion?

Looking forward to your reply.

Thank you

Actually, I used the Sigma 50mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art lens for the shot (I thought maybe I had typed it wrong in the post or on Flickr, but I typed it right). :-)

I considered using the 35mm Art (which would have given me more composition options), but I went with the 50mm lens to help avoid distortion. Overall it was a good choice, I think.

I did use the Sigma 24mm f/1.4 Art at a wedding a couple of weeks ago. It performed excellently. It's my new favorite low-light indoor event lens. But just as with any 24mm lens, you will get quite a bit of distortion if used close-up. :-)