Thread: Lens hood for EF-S 18-55 II

Lens hood for EF-S 18-55 II

My wife has this lens on a 450D, as she wants as small and light a setup as possible. I'm wondering if the petal-shaped lens hood for the newer 18-55 STM lens will work equally well with the EF-S 18-55 IS II lens? It looks a much better design than the older, circular lens hood for that lens.

We can't be 100% sure (we don't currently have both hoods on hand to test), but if the new lens hood fits onto the older lens, then it will likely provide similar protection against glare. The key word there is "if"; they do feature the same sized filter threads (58mm), so that is a good indication (but does not tell us for sure).

I'd suggest giving B&H a call to see if they know if the new lens hood will fit onto the older lens. Of you could simply order the lens hood and return it if it doesn't fit properly (or does not work as you would expect). You may also consider the less expensive Vello version.

Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Lens Hoods
    Canon EW-63C Lens Hood
    Vello EW-63C Dedicated Lens Hood

By the way, on behalf of everyone here at The-Digital-Picture.com forums, welcome aboard!

No, they are not interchangeable. The EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM uses the EW-63C
    The
    Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II uses the EW-60C
    The W is for wide angle. The 60 or 63 is the size
    I am not sure what the C is for
    As Sean pointed out, Vello makes a good lens shade and you can get a tulip that way. I agree with you, the tulip loops better. I now have one on all my lenses. I have not had any flare problems yet
    Mark

I've now worked out why they aren't interchangeable: the STM lens has a non-rotating front element, and so can use a petal shaped hood. The front element on the older IS II lens rotates, so the hood has to be circular. Pity...

Thanks for your comments!

Quote Originally Posted by clemmb View Post
    The W is for wide angle. The 60 or 63 is the size
    I am not sure what the C is for
    The C means there were previously an EW-63 and an EW-63B for other lenses.